ignition assy

Guest 1930

Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be a difference between the 29 and 30 Chevy ignition lock/cable assy, on my 29 you put the key in give it a twist and out pops the cylinder a little, the wires run thru the firewall and are easliy seen where they attach, on the thirty I cannot yet get the key to work but regardless at the end of the cable there are no wires, just some sort of plug, looks like it is supposed to plug into something but cannot figure out what, any help would be appreciated in explaing to me

I see this site now thanks, I will search it and am gratefull for you to show it to me. Not sure if I find what I am looking for though so if anyone has any specific answers to these questions that would be a great help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oldcarz

Both the 1929 and the 1930 have a metal armored cable that has the ignition switch on one end and connect to the distributor on the other end. The difference between the 1929 electrolock & the 1930 electrolock is the number of terminals at the ignition switch end. It appears from your description, someone has removed the electrolock cable from the distributor. You may also have the wrong key or a problem with the ignition tumbler on the electrolock switch that does not turn. Send me your e-mail address and I will send a picture of what the electrolock and distributor connection should look like.

Frank

oldcarz@aol.com

Guest Speedy1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldcarz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The difference between the 1929 electrolock & the 1930 electrolock is the number of terminals at the ignition switch end.Frank

oldcarz@aol.com </div></div>

How many terminals do each have? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

It has been some time now since I made the first post and have answered all my questions, as a matter of fact I wrote a rather indepth length article on the 29/30 electrlock assy describing in detail all its components and measurements of each and also have a few diagrams to go with that. If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy of this than just let me know. It is long and thorough and I have made no mistakes so it can be taken as good. Thanks for the offer old carz and wish I had got back to you sooner but I assumed after a few days of little response here that I would not receive any so I stopped checking here and investigated other places. Let me know again if you would also like a copy

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest captmidnight

thanks for posting your information on the electrolock assembly. I would appreciate receiving a copy of your research. In that you've already gone down this path, perhaps you've found someone who can fix the keyed cylinder, too. If so, let me know. thanks again.

Bill Clark , barclysdad@aol.com

It has been some time now since I made the first post and have answered all my questions, as a matter of fact I wrote a rather indepth length article on the 29/30 electrlock assy describing in detail all its components and measurements of each and also have a few diagrams to go with that. If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy of this than just let me know. It is long and thorough and I have made no mistakes so it can be taken as good. Thanks for the offer old carz and wish I had got back to you sooner but I assumed after a few days of little response here that I would not receive any so I stopped checking here and investigated other places. Let me know again if you would also like a copy

• 4 months later...
Guest obcurrier

I was not the one who wrote that. It was posted to me from my request for information. If you look back you may find his post. There is a person who repairs them but it cost around $500.00 if I remember right.:)