Wanted

Guest Kevin J. Keenan

Guest Kevin J. Keenan

I am looking for a power antenna for a 1983 Toronado. It should be the same from 1979 to 1985. I believe it would be the same antenna from a Buick Riveria and Cadillac Eldorado as they were made on the same assembly line.

Thanks kkcarcrazy@aol.com

Guest pfloro

Hello Kevin:

If the nylon cable which raises & lowers the mast is broken, you can get a new GM 'tube & mast' assembly. The cable is what usually breaks and causes the motor to run constantly. I have a 1984 Toronado & have rebuilt the antenna twice over 25 years. The all important GM part #: <span style="font-weight: bold">22048583</span>. I don't know if complete NOS antennas are still available. The above part is available from GM PARTS DIRECT for $74.

Rebuilding the antenna is not too difficult but requires drilling out several rivets which hold the housing halves together. Once it's apart, you can study the way it works. Rebuilding the unit allows you to clean out the old thickened grease and relube the mechanism. Be sure to remove the old sealer around the case edge & reseal (I used black silicone).

IMHO, this GM design is very good. The nylon cable just can't last forever. Think of how many unwind & wind cycles it has probably gone through. I'm sure winter temps don't help...!

I've attached some pictures of my recent rebuild.

Keep us posted.

Paul

Guest pfloro

I did find the GM part # for the complete power antenna: <span style="font-weight: bold"> 22048504</span>. I believe a new mounting bracket is also needed (part #: <span style="font-weight: bold">22038589</span>) as it may not come with the above antenna. I suspect your existing bracket is spot welded to the original tube. OLD BUICK PARTS is selling a NOS unit for $307. OUCH...!

You might want to try your local GM dealer. They may be able to locate NOS.

Paul

PS: Personally, I'd buy a new 'tube & mast' and rebuild (if you're so inclined)...

• 7 months later...
Guest JeffreyAlman

I have so long since given up on the GM antennas, 2 out my 3 Oldsmobile's antennas do not work and I will not fix them. The 3rd works (replaced at Best Buy years ago) but I do not even need it, I listen to Sirius through a wired FM modulator through the factory radio. IMHO if I were to fix the other 2 antennas, I doubt that it would matter that they were aftermarket, it's impossible to tell.

• 2 months later...