Sign in to follow this  
keiser31

How many of you still have your first car?

My first car was a 1976 Ford Mustang II. The lady who owned it bought it new and lived next to my grandmother in Florida. I've had the car for 26 years, and not only was it my first car, it was the car where I got my driver's license with it.

The car is down in my garage as we speak and is just as nice as it was in 1983.

In 1969 I bought a 1930 Model A. I was 14 years old.

The old man started it up and hooked it to my Dad's truck.

(Worked on it night and day till I found out what girls were)

I found an ole 1930 CJ-6 Chrysler, 4dr., tucked in the back of a garage in 1974. 47,000 original miles, NO rust (out),every original part. 1200.00

Still have them both.

Bill

Keiser31, I still own my first car which I acquired in 1969. It is one of those rare and sought after Model "A" Fords. It is a 1929 Tudor Sedan. I drove this car as a dailey driver for some few years arround Birmingham Alabama before I started a ground up restoration. It's a wonder I'm not dead as I drove it with brakes that worked sometimes and had wheel bearings that were spinning races and plate glass windows and no seat belts. This car is still in my collection.

If I still had my 54 Chevy, I would be able to store most of it in a shoe box by now. That poor rusty thing was disolving before my eyes in 1971. It didn't need a garage, it needed a dutpan and a broom.

I am glad to know that some have managed to hang on to their first cars. I do still have car #4 that I bought in '73.

I have my first car, it's a 1931 "A" Tudor. My father bought it for me for my 16th birthday in 1960. He paid $115 for it. Best present I ever got. And I have a good story of how NOT to restore a car Hint: DON"T take it apart until you need to.

Dan theA.jpg1931a.jpgtheA2.jpg

Heres a little twist: I don't have my original very first car, but am building an almost exact replica right down to the model-a 1965 Mustang K code 289 High Performance GT Convertible!!! the only difference is going to be the colors and style of the interior, my first was Caspian Blue with White top, and White standard interior, and the "new" one is going to be tripple Black with the DeLuxe "Pony" interior.

BOTH K codes!!!

By Golly Dave, you DID get that 1935 Ford back together!! Am I right, you named that car "Henrietta"?

I was just telling somebody the other night how it sat in the small garage apart for years and I didn't know if you ever got it back together.

Can you remember in 1966 when we ginned up the CHVA idea over lunch at work. You were 21 and I was 28. Long time ago old friend, long time ago. I still wonder if it had not been for us, if AACA would have ever gone to the 25 year rule in 1974? We can surmise, but can never really know.

I sometimes wish I still had my first car but I don't. Growing up in northern Illinois, the first car I drove was a 55 Ford Customline tudor sedan and the first car I owned was a 55 Ford Victoria 2-door hardtop. They both basically dissolved into piles of rust and I moved on through too many cars to count. Just recently I saw a rust free 55 tudor and was momentarily tempted but too many other irons in the fire.

I do not have my first car. I only have an exact duplicate of my first car. I bought my first car, a 1939 Buick Special sedan with double sidemounts and a leather interior, on January 29, 1955 from a family friend. On July 31 of the same year I traded it on a 1952 Plymouth Belvedere coupe in an effort to win greater favor with a girl I was dating. That failed of course. In 1963 I bought another '39 Buick and over 18 years and three restoration attempts I correctly built it to be exactly like my first car and won a First Junior at the Reading, PA AACA National Meet in 1981. It won a Senior in Hershey, and a Grand National in 1982 at Hagerstown. In 2000 we went for a Grand National Senior (non-existant in 1983) and won it at Montoursville, PA. We've named all of our cars too. This one my wife, Judy, named "Suzybelle". Suzy was also used in the filming of "Tora, Tora, Tora".

39_Blue_Buick_at_Beach_5.JPG

I still have my 1967 Chevy Impala SS convertable that I bought when I was 10 for $350. I don't think I could ever get rid of it because I have it so long, its like part of the family.

I've never owned a duplicate of my first car, the black '64 Chevy Impala that my Dad paid half the purchase price for, as a graduation present, I presume. I'm sure he questioned whether I'd ever graduate back then. eek.gifblush.gif

All this talk about building or buying a car like your first one has gotten me to thinking, "Gosh, I know where 3 nice '64 Chevy's are right now. I'll bet that I could buy one of them?" Nope, no garage space.

Hey Earl, Gloria won't let me name cars. She says she doesn't want the competition! eek.gifcool.gif

Wayne

My first car was actually a 1949 2R5 Studebaker pickup that I paid $75 for in January, 1974 at age 15. The late Sam Miller towed it to my house behind the '61E13 Studebaker wrecker from Coggins Motor.

I had the auto class in high school completely rebuild the engine and kept it until 1979 when I sold it to a man in Pennsylvania who completely restored it. I spoke to him a couple of years ago and he had sold it locally to a body shop owner. If it had overdrive I might be tempted to get it back.

That humble beginning has led to my ownership of more than 3 dozen Studebakers in my lifetime.

I am probably one of the few people that has zero desire to have my first car back. My uncle had a 1975 Buick Regal and thought it was the best car ever made. So when I wanted to look at a car, he wouldn't take me to look at anything other than Buick Centurys (similar to but not as nice as a Regal. I couldn't get a car as nice as his, that wouldn't do) So I ended up with a '75 Buick Century, silver with navy top and interior, ick. The paint and rust was so bad on the roof that it looked like leprosy. And no rear defroster for icy Chicago winters. I could never see out the back window. When it got hit 6 months later, and I didn't want to pay to fix it because I didn't like it, I realized I didn't have to have anyone drive me to look at cars this time and I could buy whatever I wanted. Since then I've had Lincolns. The next car I would buy would be Packard. No desire whatsoever to relive the Century.

I think this is styled after a 60's Ford Galaxie. Still have the pedal car but it needs restored. I recall I was so mad when they gave this to me bacause my short legs could not reach the pedals. I improvised and did a Fred Flinstone and made a zillion laps thru my Granny's kitchen and living room. Photo roughly 1967

randy_pedal.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windjamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Randy, Where the heck you been?? Missed your post. </div></div>

Hi Dick.... have been rigg'n the sails and loading the ballest on the new website with the grand opening due soon. I've always planned for the new site to be recession proof.... dang looks like I'd better go ahead and tweak it to be depression proof too. More info to come of course...

Not my first, but my longest. 1951 Olds 88-A 2 door sedan. Bought in 1971, 2 engines, 2 tranny's a re-paint and lots of hours of driving and and work over the years. Took my wife to the hospital to give birth to both of our children and brought all of them home in it, and took my daughter to the same, and brought her and my grand son home in it. Will probably be burried in it. She now lives in her own garage, you ought to see Her head lights shine when I pat her on the deck lid and rub her rear bumper!!! Doug Caughey

Nope, my first vehicle was a 29 roadster pickup my dad bought when I was a kid to haul stuff to the dump, eventually he parked it in the field next to our house to tie a beef steer to so it could graze free. When I was about 15 he told me if I fixed it up I could have it when I got my license. I spent a lot of time undoing what years of abuse and steer had done to it. One day I came home from school and it was gone. My dad laughed about how some fool had come by and offered him $100 for it so away it went with the fool. To my dad it was still a $15 truck and he got one over on the fool, that and it was a ford and he definately was a Chrysler product kind of guy.

Harry

First the simple answer is no. It was towed off to the scrap yard when I was at school one day.

But your question had me going back through all the cars that I’ve owned since I’ve been driving and was amazed when I got to 42 and I've yet to have been in the drivers seat that many years.

So, another question might be asked as another thread/topic; "If you don’t have your first car, of all the cars that you have owned what would you have kept if you could have and what was the favorite that you have owned?” I think that this would be another great topic.

And regarding the car that went to the scrap yard? It was a 1956 Dodge Sierra Wagon that my parents gave me but in the end they became impatient with it sitting around not running, hence it was not there when I came home one day from school. Although I try to keep my eye open to all opportunities I have yet to but I would really like to find another.

Got my '36 Pontiac coupe 44 yrs ago this month, as a HS senior. $75, 68K original miles, a thoroughly complete car that I was smart enough to hang on to.

post-31554-143138042214_thumb.jpg

I still have my first road worthy vehicle which is a 1957 Dodge Sweptside pickup. I drove it around the farm in the late 70's and on the road in the early 80's. To see it go to the Dodge Truck Forums and look at "The 1957 Dodge Sweptside and More" thread. grin.gif Dandy Dave!

Ohhh Heck. Just poke here....My first was a pickup