248 rocker shaft

Guest rusty1951

Guest rusty1951

I took apart the rocker shaft assembly and found that the oil holes were about 50% plugged toward the last 2 clyinders. There is grooves worn on the bottom of the shaft and on the lower part of the rocker arms. There is a little side to side play. How tight do these have to be??? The uppper part of the shaft and top of the rockers are very nice. How do you know when to replace the rockers?

Not terribly tight...at the very least disassemble the shaft (remove the plugs on the ends too) and CLEAN it. I used a 12 gauge shotgun cleaning kit to do mine....my original was bad enough that I bought a used one from Wheatbelt Buick...it was only 45 dollars and rebuilt ones from Kanter are 450!!! I think CARS does them for 300 or so. Either way, the one I got from Wheatbelt was serviceable so i cleaned it up and put it on the car...Disassembling the entire shaft is a PAIN though. Be patient when removing the stands. Also, disassemble the rocker arms and thoroughly clean the oiling holes...the reason yours is worn is because the oiling holes have almost 60 years of sludge blocking them Good luck! Ask away if there are any questions you have!