1941 V12 VALVE REMOVAL TOOLS - HELP!!

I HAVE MY '41 CONTINENTAL ENGINE OUT AND APART.

I AM TOTALLY STUCK AS TO REMOVING THE VALVE GUIDE RETAINERS.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I CAN USE OR WHERE TO BUY,BORROW,RENT

THE CORRECT TOOLS FOR DOING THIS? OR IS THERE A TOOL CURRENTLY

AVAILABLE TO ACOMPLISH THIS??

ANY HELP APPRECIATED

MICHAEL

Michael, the regular Ford flathead valve bar will work. It's not the best tool but with some manipulation it'll do the job. The bar has a forked end that you insert into grooves in the guides. You have to go thru the valve spring in order to engage the grooves. You then have to pry the guides down far enough to loosen and remove the keepers and then pry the guide up to remove the assembly. The guides can really be stuck so you may end up having to remove the horseshoe spring keeper at the bottom of the valve stem then raise the valve high enough in order to insert a "u" shaped punch and drive the guide down far enough to remove the keeper. These tools are available from Mac's Antique Ford Parts, Joblot etc.

If you plan to use new valves you can knock the heads of the old ones to gain access to the guides. With the valve "open" a sharp blow sideways will knock the heads off. Liberal amounts of penetrating oil around the top of the guides might also help.

I think you should replace the old style mushroom tip valves and 2 piece guides with modern ( '49 to '51) Ford valves and one piece guides that have "o" ring seals on the intakes.