Sign in to follow this  
ncgirl05

'41 120 with a divider?

There's a '41 120 sedan for sale on eBay that has a divider window. Was this done often? I don't think I've ever seen one. Not that I'm an expert by any stretch....

Link to Vehicle

I looked at that closely a few days ago. Without some form of documentation I'd conclude it's a home-built divider or at the least, not factory issue.

The sliding divider window looks like a commercially available truck or boat window. Doesn't look at all original to me. I'd bet money on it not being original.

Based on the red pedal, it also has an electromatic clutch.

I can't add any wisdom on the divider. It's certainly not any type that Packard offered on the larger series. It does have sort of a taxi look to it, but if the paint is original, it's not a taxi paint job.

Taking another look at the divider, it does appear to have been done when the car was either new or fairly new. Derham did a lot of simple customs like this, so that would be my guess. However, even if you could proof that it was Derham that did the job, I wouldn't get too excited about it. It would add a little value, but not a whole lot.

The division window cars and taxis typically had a leather front seat did they not? The division window certainly looks like it was made with the same material as the seats. Interesting car.

I was thinking the same thing, Dave. But you probably had a choice. I know that the formal sedans could have been ordered either way, but most had cloth front seats.

The division is good to prevent your dog from constantly licking you on the back of the neck. grin.gif

I agree. Neat car.

I was thinking it was used as a taxi, or livery service in Ny, Boonton Nj is close to NYC. The divider looks great. I was thinking it was done right after it was bought. Some people did buy a car, THEN have it customized. Have you seen the 1940 120 that was made for Emily Sears? has a open town car top, on a 120. Therefore, I think it might have been something like that. made just after bought. Looks like 1941 style, although, the sliding glass, instead of crank up, does make me kinda wonder, but it does look original. I would love to make one for my Packard. Any ideas on making a divider that looks original?

The "pinch" type handle on the glass slider just looks out of place though I have to admit the installation does look original.