Difficulty Level for rack and pinion

Ames63

doing it yourself will save 500 to 900 dollars.

It is not that easy of a job to do, but it can be done with basic mechanical knowlege. I did mine when I had my engine pulled. I would take a look at the manual to ensure there are no tools involed. Just incase you do not know, the you can access the FSM at reatta.net, but you do have to register.

Maybe a great topic for a Tutorial if someone has had the misfortune to replace one.

I don't believe I have seen any problem topics or posts concerning the Reatta rack on the forum, but when I was a dealer I certaily had to replace one now and then on assorted GM vehicles smile.gif.

Guest steakneggs

Our '93 Regal required lowering of the cradle. I sold the car for $200 (it had numerous issues). Disturbing the cradle makes it a major job due to having to support the engine/trans and the possibility of rusted cradle bolts. See if Nemo is right about it fitting through the wheel well. Also the hose connections look difficult to loosen. Steak

Hi

Don't know what yours is actually doing.............but I have one with 225K on it, that would'nt center (would always seem to pull one way or the other)and I was told by a friend to try some Lukas power steering treatment (think that's how it was labeled)and to my surprise resolved the problem.

My R&P is leaking (as told by the guys at the dealership), they said there was a lot of play in the steering as a result. I checked my power steering pump extensively and it was not leaking so I decided to go with the dealerships recommendation. Only problem is they want to charge me about $1270.00 to do the work, stressing that the R&P cost about $800.00, but I found it for ~$75.00 at Autozone