1956 Buick upper grille bar repairs?

Pete Phillips

I am restoring a 1956 Roadmaster and I have three upper grille bars for it, but all of them have minor damage. Two have small cracks; one is not cracked but has a couple of small "dings" about the size of a pea, maybe larger. They are about 1/8th inch deep and 1/4 to 1/2 inch across

I have been told that brazing with a brass rod will hurt the grille bar because of the amount of heat required to melt the brass rod, and it does require a lot of heat. Do I dare try to knock the dents out of the metal? After all, it did survive whatever hit it without cracking. As you probably know, these grille bars are made of pot metal, so are not very repairable. Does anyone have experience or suggestions?

Good ones are just about impossible to find. I found one with pits and in need of replating, but it was $395 as is!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

Hi Pete,

I had a similar experiance with the grill bar on my 50. The best one I had was pitted and had a hole from a collision.

I sent it to Finishing Touch in Chicago to look at and eventually repair.

They have the artesians and processes to fix it. It came back looking perfect. Chromed you couldn'e even tell it was hurt at one time. Of course it cost a pretty penny but in the end it was worth it and cheaper then a nos went for on ebay.

Pot metal will dent or bend once. The second time when you try to undo the damage it will usually break. Pot metal cracks and dings are very repairable by an experianced craftsman. Most reputable and experianced rechrome/restoration can repair your parts relatively cheaply but they will need to be rechromed after the repair. BTW, your part will have long since turned into a puddle of molten pot metal long before a brass brazing rod is even thinking of flowing........Bob

• 8 months later...

I have a complete 1956 Buick Grille, not broken, usual corrosion for sale at $165. Go to SalvageHunter.com for pics and info.

I am restoring a 1956 Roadmaster and I have three upper grille bars for it, but all of them have minor damage. Two have small cracks; one is not cracked but has a couple of small "dings" about the size of a pea, maybe larger. They are about 1/8th inch deep and 1/4 to 1/2 inch across

I have been told that brazing with a brass rod will hurt the grille bar because of the amount of heat required to melt the brass rod, and it does require a lot of heat. Do I dare try to knock the dents out of the metal? After all, it did survive whatever hit it without cracking. As you probably know, these grille bars are made of pot metal, so are not very repairable. Does anyone have experience or suggestions?

Good ones are just about impossible to find. I found one with pits and in need of replating, but it was $395 as is!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

Not sure the last reply went through. I have a complete 1956 Roadmaster Grille for $165, not broken, needs re-plating or could be used as is. Go to SalvageHunter.com for pics and info. Thanks.