Help - Gas cap problem - It will not come off

Guest Brolliar

Guest Brolliar

The gas cap will not come off. It just spins almost freely. Surely someone has had this problem before me, and has a solution - I hope. We have had this Reatta for years. The cap always came off before.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Have not seen that before but a late GM gas cap is a two piece unit with an interlock (thingie that clicks when tight enough). Shouldn't be a locking gas cap, the stock one isn't.

Sounds like the clicker isn't. If everything else has been tried I think I'd drill a small hole just off the center of the twist bar and insert a steel rod or small screwdriver. That should lock the two pieces together and allow removal.

Needs to be off center but not so far that you get into the filler neck which would be worse.

Will need a new gas cap but suspect a local FLAPS would have one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I'd drill a small hole just off the center of the twist bar and insert a steel rod or small screwdriver. </div></div>

BEWARE! Drill brushes make sparks. Gasoline fumes and sparks make can make a really loud bang and an extremely bright flash. Could be very dangerous. Better way might be to use a sharp pointed awl to pierce both parts.

I would try a lot of downward force on the cap and hope the added friction between the inner and outer parts of the cap will twist it out.

Guest Brolliar

Thanks all for the help. I will post tomorrow how it works out. Bowl game to watch tonight. Will have wife take pictures of any explosions - just kidding. I wont be making any sparks.

Padgett, as always you are a big help with my problems.

Ronnie said...BEWARE! Drill brushes make sparks. Gasoline fumes and sparks make can make a really loud bang and an extremely bright flash. Could be very dangerous. Better way might be to use a sharp pointed awl to pierce both parts.

You can also use an old fashioned hand drill safely.

I use a hand drill for plastic. Air drill for metal unless on the press. Brace and bit would work also but is a bit clumsy with a little bit. STS is a good idea.

Just recently received my first battery drill for use at the recycling center so do not normally think in terms of sparking..

Guest Brolliar

Hi again - I left the car outside so it would get cold. With temperature at 38 degrees the cap unscrewed this morning just like it should!! What a nice surprise. It could have been the lower gas pressure in the tank due to the cold, or the metal or plastic in cap or filler tube contracting due to the cold. Either way I am getting a new cap. The cap is currently on but not tight. The car only has 39,981 miles so the cap should not be worn out.

Thanks again for all the help. I was ready to put a hole in the cap but then didn't need to. smile.gifsmile.gif

Rubber and Plastic are not the only things that break down with time, not miles.

But it's New Years Eve, so I'll go and use alcohol on my worn out parts. Of course, I'll be careful not to create sparks.

Tom T

Guest Brolliar

I was lucky to get the cap off. Also there was no real warning that my wife or I noticed that it was going bad. Once off, it turns with almost no force in both directions. An after market cap was $8.00. It was made in Israel not China which suprised me. I will get a Buick cap later.