I Need Help!!! with a 1931 buck 8-57

treysir

Hi hope someone can lead me in the right direction. My father owned this car and gave it to me a few years ago before he died. It's a 1931 buick mod 8-57 all original. I don't now much about it and need to find a repair manuel & a AC 86 spark plug for this before I even get started. can anyone point me in the right direction please.

treysir,

First, I would suggest you join the BCA and your local chapter, as you might find someone close by with the same, or samilar car (early 30s share some components and also similar design).

A good source of Manual Reprints and all stuff early '30s Buicks is Mac Blair of Indiana, PA. You can reach him at buick32@adelphia.net.

Also, I suggest you give us an indication of where you are located, and also post on the BCA Pre-War forum to get a larger early Buick audience.

John

Thanks guys for the help. I Emailed Mac Blair and am waiting for a response back. I live near Modesto California and can't find any local Buick chapter close by. I think the closest one is in Sacramento CA. Thats about 70 miles from me.I am excited about getting started on this car. It needs a few things before I can get it started. 1)New spark plugs AC 86 2)Waterpump 3)I don't now the name of the part but it's a round tube that is pressed into the cylinder head where the spark plug screws into the head.Any help would be great.

You should have no trouble getting plugs. Napa has them or at least can change them up to Champion (you don't want them), Autolite (3076 I think and I have lots of them {they are probably as good as AC}, Bosch or NKG. I have driven my car for 49 yeas as my daily driver. Using AC plugs I had to change them every year (about 12,000 miles). Using Champion I had to clean them after about six months and then replace them every year. Using Bosch or NKG I get two years (24,000 miles) before having to change them. Also I found that I could buy bosch plugs for my car at the local Porsche dealer cheaper than wholesale at NAPA.

James,

I once belonged to the BCA Capitol Chapter in Sacramento when I lived in Fairfield CA. The meetings at Sam's Hof Brau near the old Capitol Records store were worth the hour long drive. I encourage you to go to a few meetings just to connect with those members with prewar Buicks. These contacts will be invaluable in locating services and resources to help get you going.

Also, when you join the BCA, you will receive a roster of members that will enable you to locate members with cars (and spare parts) like yours.