WHICH SWITCH PITCH IS CORRECT?

Guest sharkeymark

Guest sharkeymark

Thanks steve the general consensus has been #42 I was sent a picture of a 65 and it was 42. Remember this is a 65 engine

and dual quad factory set up in a 66.

Mark,

There's only one that will fit properly with your two four setup.

It's not 43, that's for a carb with a roller on the linkage to activate the button. #'s 42 and 44 look the same. I'm going to go with the one attached to the bracket because it's shorter; that would compensate for the rear carb sitting furtner back on the manifold. Any except for 43 will attach to a '66 carb. Look at the rear carb on your car and you'll see the pin on the linkage for the eye on the switch.

What you don't know for sure is what part #41 is off of. It could be either a single four barrel or dual four barrel bracket; they're different.

Measure the distance between the two mounting holes and then where the pin placement is between those two holes. I'll compare it to my known '66 single four barrel ones and see if the measurements are the same or different.

Ed

Well my parts book only shows one for either 2x4 or 1x4, However there is a different bracket for the 2x4 Here is the pic of what is correct for a switch

post-53272-143138031465_thumb.jpg

Guest Riviera66

Number 44 is the one that came with the '66 from the factory. 42 has wires built into the switch... this gives it away as a Delco Remy Switch used in earlier years but not at all in '66 or '67. 1966's have the wiring built into the harness so the wires on 42 make it unusable in '66/67.... The '66 switch is made by "Littlefuse", not Delco Remy according to the parts book. A cable/adapter was introduced and sold to allow use of the later switches in earlier cars.

Never seen a style 43 before.

41 is a second style of 44. Shop manuals and parts books say that '66 and '67s used the same switch...and picture switch 44 in the diagrams for both years. But on '67s, I mostly see style 41 used. Although it looks way way shorter, they both adjust to the same length. The 41 style has a long white plastic shaft inside which becomes brittle and breaks easily; '66 styles use a metal shaft so it's more durable.

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Technical Advisor

Mark,

Here's a picture of the kickdown switch on my '64. It looks like the #43. In '64 the trans was a ST400 but it didn't have the switch pitch feature. The roller, circled in red, on the carb linkage depresses the contact on the switch when you floor the accelerator.

Guest sharkeymark

Darwin,

41 should be correct? I have been told on Da Nailhead

that there should be a microswitch for the accelorator arm that

mounts to the firewall to control the kick down. Is that correct? 41 does have the eye and as I may not have posted the

carb picture my carb does have an extended post for an eye.

Just trying to wire this critter up to function correctly.

need the shift kickdown to function correctly and the shift pitch as well. Or is 41 an all of the above?

post-59514-143138033309_thumb.jpg

post-59514-14313803334_thumb.jpg

Mark,

The micro-switch controls the switch pitch only at idle.

The rod on the carb linkage switch controls the switch pitch under acceleration as well as the kickdown feature.

That's why there are 5 terminals on the '66 switch. Two go to the microswitch, one goes to the s/p terminal on the transmission and two go to the kickdown terminal on the transmission.

Look in you chassis manual on page 74-87, Figure 74-200. It shows everything you need to properly connect your switches - one micro switch on the acclerator linkage and one kickdown/sp switch that connects to the carb.

One four barrel or two four barrels doesn't matter, the switches work the same transmission in the same chassis for the same year.

Ed