'36 buick bell housing

Guest 36boelk

Guest 36boelk

Hi,

I've got a 1936 40 special with the 233 straight 8. I've got the engine out but can't seem to find a good way to get the bell housing off. I see two bolts from the inside that need to be taken out, is there any trick to getting those out? I can't seem to get the flywheel out without moving the bell housing back a bit.

thanks for any help its driving me nuts

I haven't taken mine apart - yet. But, this is an excerpt from an earlier posting: On my 1936 Special the bell housing has to be installed before attaching the flywheel. This is because the two upper most bolts are covered by the flywheel and can't be installed if it's there first. Of course, this make it much more difficult to install the clutch because you don't have alot of room to work in and the flywheel has to be rotated to get at all of the clutch bolts.

Hope this helps,

Guest 36boelk

thanks, i just figured it out. since the flywheel would not come off without the bellhousing being loose i ended up making a long wrench to fit up between the flywheel and bellhousing to get to the other bolts. it was a pain to get them loose but i backed them out a bit, dropped the flywheel out and loosened them the rest of the way.