1963 Starting Issue

Qdog

I posted this on the list server too, but I figured that there is not as much traffic there, so I would try here too.

1963 Riv, sitting about 6 years. I rolled the engine with a socket wrench on the crankshaft to make sure it would turn ok. Little mystery oil down the plug hole to make sure everythign would be lubed ok. Now, turn the starter switch, and it makes a "clunk" noise...maybe turns 1/8th a turn. Occasionally it hooks and turns a bit, but that's once in 3 cycles of the key.

The battery is dead, but I jumped it off of my truck and it's the same result. I was thinking that perhaps the cranking motor has gone bad. I checked the battery cables. Connections to the battery are clean and tight. Where the ground connects to the power steering bracket I cleaned that connection too. I cleaned all four cables at the junction block. Still nothing. I guess I need to check the connection at the cranking motor next. What about the voltage regulator? Thoughts on items that need repaired or replaced?

Thanks,

Eric

Hello Eric:

Since you are trying to jump start the engine, the booster cables need to be quality ones with heavy copper wire & powerful jaw clamps. Keep in mind that the starter motor is probably 'drawing' 100 - 150+ amps while cranking. YES, the connections (especially main battery one) need to be clean & tight at the starter...

FYI: I use fine emery cloth to brighten the connectors.

If you are still having trouble turning the engine over via the starter, it may have developed oxidation on the internal solenoid contacts, commutator and/or brushes. A rebuilt Delco-Remy starter shouldn't cost too much.

The voltage regulator & the alternator are responsible for keeping the battery properly charged & providing power while the engine is running. The regulator is not involved while cranking the engine (of course, a malfunctioning charging system will result in a drained battery).

Keep us posted.

Paul