An Apology

Guest Bluesky636

Guest Bluesky636

Reading the rantings of 65NewYorker made me realize how ridiculous some of my earlier posts on this forum have been. I don't think (I hope) that some of the things I said were as outrageous as 65's but I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to anyone I may have upset, offended, or just plain pissed off. That doesn't mean that I won't disagree with some of you in the future, but I will try to do it with a little more class (if that's the right word).

No, I still won't show my car in a judged event for the reasons I have stated in the past, though mostly because I never built it with the intention of having it judged, but I do hope to visit Hershey sometime. Maybe just as a spectator, maybe as a non-judged entrant. But definitely to have fun.

As Christmas Day was sunny and fairly warm in Northern Virginia, I took my Galaxie out for a couple of spins today. In the morning, I gave one of my neighbors and his son a ride. My neighbor is into late model Mustangs, and his son into Japenese tuner cars. Thay had a blast and were quite impressed by the power and ride of the Galaxie. Later, I gave my brother-in-law a ride, his first in the car. He is not much of a car person, but we cranked up the radio (Sirius Classic Vinyl), and had a blast. I don't think he will go out and buy an old car, but he definitely has a better understanding why I enjoy owning mine so much.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a great Christmas, Hannekauh, Kwanza, or whatever you may celebrate and that you have a terrific New Year. Remember to always keep the shiny side up.

Merry Christmas, Bill

I, for one, accept your apology and admire your desire to move forward in a good direction.

I don't get my car judged either. That's just one part of our hobby. I chose to drive it, and fix it. If I ever do drive it onto a show field, it will be only to display. I have no desire for a trophy (not that my current ride would ever get one). In my opinion, the CAR is the trophy. On the other hand, I really enjoy seeing the cars that ARE restored for judging. It's like artwork.

Being so close to Hershey, you gotta give it a try. It's an experience that cannot be conveyed in words. How do you describe the sight of the Grand Canyon? How would you describe the view of Earth from the moon?... Okay, maybe that's a little too poetic, but it is really impossible to describe Hershey.

Hi- I don't get my cars judged either. I've seen people get upset over judging, and it's just not worth it, so that is a part of the hobby that I choose not to participate in, and instead enjoy the fixing and the driving. I also will put a car in a show, but only for display.

I once sat at a banquet next to a gentleman who had paid to have a rare Pierce Arrow restored. His car did not take first place in his class. He cussed, slammed his fist on the table, and swore he would sell the d**n car. And he did. That kind of thing is not part of what I consider a wonderful hobby. Apparently he was in the hobby for different reasons than many of us.

Yes, Virginia had beautiful weather yesterday. Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

The only "judging I like at a show is something like "The Preachers choice" or The "Mayor's wife's favorite" or the "Most Popular choice".

These are no doubt the most fun to recieve and you can't complain if your car wasen't picked.

One show that I went to even had a WTF? trophy.

Bill, Steve is right. It takes a big man to admit his mistakes.

While I have a Grand National Senior winning Ford Model A Phaeton, I have more fun driving it on a tour than I do sitting on a showfield with it. When driving it, it appears perfect, when sitting on a showfield, you can stress out about the minor imperfections that you know are visible on the car.

My Country Squire is just a good original (with a little rust around the edges) driver. I get probably as many smiles and compliments out of that car as I do the Model A. Everybody likes to talk about the Station Wagon that their family had back in the day...

Guest windjamer

Matt great reply, I enter my cars to be judged mostly because I done all or most all the work and Im proud of my results. But the best trouphy is the thumbs up I get on the road, the nice ride at the gas station and best of all the smile on a kids face when I sit him behind the wheel. As said in a earlyer post Bill, we dont hold nuting agin you Ford folks. Merry Christmas.

My wife and I enjoy bringing one of the cars to a car show. If I gets an award great! If it doesen't great! We just enjoy going different places and seeing different cars. I also enjoy watching the "numbers matching guy's" go nuts. Especilly if they find a part on my "non numbers matching car" that they have been looking for. We just enjoy ourselves.

Bill,

Thanks for your words and intentions. I agree with you regarding judging of our cars. I never want my cars to be judged. I enjoy driving my antique cars and showing them, along with enjoying other people's cars.

I have no problem with those folks who restore their cars and look for trophies. There's enough room in this hobby for all of us.

Happy New Year.

Rog

Thank you so much for the apology. And for truly understanding that we really were trying to help you understand how we do what we do when we are on a judging team. And that the AACA will always listen to people with ideas about a better, more fair way of doing the judging.

I myself launched a mission to get it included in the Judges Guidelines the rule about not having to have T-3 headlights in the cars that originally had them. Dave Berg came on the judging forum and backed me up that was what he taught us in 1995. It has taken me close to three years to get it on the agenda and per a e-mail to me from Rick Lay it will be in the 2009 Judges Guideline manual.

<span style="color: #3366FF">"Susan,

Right after the statement about "Headlights should be matching...." will be a statement to the effect that: "Brand is unimportant (i.e. Westinghouse, GE, Guide T-3, etc.)"

Hopefully that gets the job done.

Rick"</span>

Change might not come immediately but this proves that it can and does happen. You just have to be patient and keep trying.

Merry Christmas Bill. smile.gif

Guest Bluesky636

Thanks, all. The Galaxie is tucked back in my garage waiting for the next nice day to pull her out for some exercise.

Sunday (12/28) my wife and I, along with our two Golden Retrievers, head for a week's vacation in Lexington, Va. We rent a house on about 30 acres with the nearest neighbor 3/4 miles away. Peace and quiet. Nice wood burning stove. The Pups love it. Lexington is a very nice town with some great shops and restaurants. Washington-Lee, and VMI. Great place to visit and from what I am told, a nice place to live. We'll be back Sunday, 1/4. Can't wait.

Trust me Bill you were never as bad as 65NewYorker.

Each person has a reason for the car they own and also enjoys it in different ways. I have cars that are strictly show and others that are strictly for the enjoyment of driving them. There is nothing wrong with either of those and certainly nothing that should cause us as fellow car enthusiasts to be at odds with each other over.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and have a great New Year

BOB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob Hill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Each person has a reason for the car they own and also enjoys it in different ways. BOB </div></div>

Last year at the spring Hornets Nest Region show at Lowes Motor Speedway there was a car in the class I was Team Captain for that was kind of dinged up, one fender was VERY dented and there was some rust. It was at it's first AACA show. It was a fairly rare car and the owners just wanted people to see it. They didn't expect to win anything. It was obvious that they loved the car. The lady was very sad that her husband was not there when we judged it, he had wandered off on some errand and had not yet returned. I told her to keep bringing the car out for others to enjoy.

We should all show respect for the vehicle and the owner(s). They are like kids, they aren't all the smartest, prettiest, funniest or best behaved. But they are loved no matter what.

While I've never shown my cars in an AACA event I can imagine that they are like the Concours venues that we enjoy. While a Concours is simply a beauty contest, I can see why there is more stress in an authenticity contest. I don't know that I would enjoy that. I, personally, like people telling me what they like about my car, not what's wrong with it.

However, I do imagine that the same type of camaraderie exists as and we car people all do seem to have a commonality that transcends the normal barriers that normally keep us apart. I've made a number of friendships that I wouldn't have made in other hobbies.

I like the awards. I wish I was the one that did the work as they are the ones that are truly deserving. All I did was lay out a pile of cash. However, I did make some good choices. It's that acknowledgment that I desire.

One of the biggest joys I get is driving what some might consider museum pieces. As much as I enjoy showing the cars, I enjoy driving them more.

I,ve been trying to work out how to rely to susan with a direct quote , but being an old (f---t not to sure if i am aloud to post the full word . )and not up to speed with a computor . and also not living in the US , but through my involvement?through this site but not knowing her personaly i would say she would be one of the most careing and understanding people i could hope to meet some time.

Dear elmo39, You have touched my heart. I honestly am a caring person. It matters to me that the owners of cars that I have judged or I was Team Captain for felt that they were treated fairly and equally.

I hope one day to meet you too.

Thank you for your kind words.