Restoring Interior Vinyl

Has anyone tried to restore the vinyl-covered trim pieces and door panels using dye or plastic/vinyl paint? Some of mine have faded and are turning white on the top surface. If so, what product did you use, and if tan, what color code?

For seats, I know that there is a re-cover kit available, but has anyone gotten good results from having a local shop recover the seats, and if so, at what price?

Thanks in advance.

The pint can was blank. The spray can has a label of;

OMNI-PAK

MASTERBLEND

EZ TOUCH

Car General Motors Corp

code 66 year 88-89

color MED BEECHWOOD

I believed I ordered 305s which is medium gloss

I bought it at;

Automotive Supply

116 W. 3rd Street

Kaukauna,Wi.54130

920-766-4686

Hope this helps!

• 10 years later...

With spring finally here some of you might be interested in doing a little "freshening of your interior trim pieces. The Medium Beechwood Tan Sem number in an areosol is #15173. In the pint/quart size [has to be custom mixed] the color number is #4310. You can use the pint/quart mix for redoing your carpet although on a different series of posts it was recommended that you dilute the color using a thinner. Have the store help you with a thinner [I think you use lacquer thinner, but check]. I did it on the vert using a diluted mix [don't remember how I cut it] using a scrub brush to work it into the carpet. Turned out good and got rid of that "pink" cast that all tan interiors get over the years.

57 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

With spring finally here some of you might be interested in doing a little "freshening of your interior trim pieces. The Medium Beechwood Tan Sem number in an areosol is #15173. In the pint/quart size [has to be custom mixed] the color number is #4310. You can use the pint/quart mix for redoing your carpet although on a different series of posts it was recommended that you dilute the color using a thinner. Have the store help you with a thinner [I think you use lacquer thinner, but check]. I did it on the vert using a diluted mix [don't remember how I cut it] using a scrub brush to work it into the carpet. Turned out good and got rid of that "pink" cast that all tan interiors get over the years.

Thanks Dave. I added that info to the ROJ paint codes page.  From what I've read online the Miata people are using it on seats.  Have you tried it on a seat to refinish it?

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Thanks Dave. I added that info to the ROJ paint codes.  From what I've read the Miata people are using it on seats.  Have you tried it on a seat to refinish it?

Never did myself but a long time ago I had a vinyl restoration place redo my seats, but I never really liked the way they looked, so I kept my eyes open and upgraded along the way finding nicer seats. As you might remember I found that low mileage 90 in a you pick yard with 16 ways and bought them and now have the seats I always hoped to have.

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Ronnie, I think you and I are having a 2 person conversation that anyone can look in on. You and I are the only ones who posted today on the Reatta forum...

Yeah, we're down to a handful of people that routinely post here. That's what happens when a car club evolves into a private Facebook group where you must get approved in order to participate. It's a sign of the times Dave.  Conform to the new ways or be left behind... like I am.  :)

• Like 1

I do not now or ever intend to do Facebook.  My wife is forever talking to me about what goes on with it....don't need the grief...I like peace and quiet. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:46 PM, DAVES89 said:

Went back and spotted this and I assume most of this is on ROJ.  "At least" both of my Reatta interiors are Beechwood and both are faded.  Even my parts car has fade.  I was able to remove my passenger door last weekend.  I am making slow progress on stripping the parts car owing to rainy weather, hot humid summer weather and general laziness, plus tons of projects.  I have set my task at removal of SOMETHING each day I am home.  Right now I am in Madison WI on business.

I want to get this "paint" or dye ordered sooner rather than later but it may sit awhile.  I hope Tower Paint can work with me on it.  I have used them in the past for aerosol cans and the paint in them was good quality and a match. 

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:53 PM, DAVES89 said:

Never did myself but a long time ago I had a vinyl restoration place redo my seats, but I never really liked the way they looked, so I kept my eyes open and upgraded along the way finding nicer seats. As you might remember I found that low mileage 90 in a you pick yard with 16 ways and bought them and now have the seats I always hoped to have.

I don't even want to think about where to get Beechwood leather but I now have several sets of seats, and will try to get a sample swatch and send it off to Hirsch soon for matching.