Packard spotlight options for 1935

1935Packard

I need help trying to figure out what an original driver's side spotlight for a 1935 Packard 1207 coupe-roadster would have looked like, and more importantly, how it would have been mounted. I have seen a lot of pictures of the original spotlight on the phaeton, but not on a coupe roadster.

Any ideas? By way of background, my 1935 1207 Coupe Roadster has a spotlight on the driver's side that looks like it dates from the 1950s. It is mounted as in this picture. There's also evidence that there was an earlier spotlight in the same place. But I'm getting new woodgraining done soon, and the current spotlight is mounted in a way that the dash had to have a hole in it to allow the spotlight (as the picture indicates).

If that spotlight position isn't original, I want to remove the spotlight and have the hole repaired before I get the new woodgraining. On the other hand, if that position *is* original, I want to get an older spotlight to replace the one I have now and I'll have the dash woodgrained with the hole unrepaired. So to know what to do,I need to figure out if that spotlight position was something added later or might have come with the car.

Thanks for any help!

I don't really have an answer, best I could suggest is to look at a picture in the 1935 Accessory Catalog and hope it shows the light in an open car. Here's a picture from the 1934 Accessory Catalog, though the body shells are different and it's a closed car as well. Nevetheless it may be of some help?

post-49751-143138028774_thumb.jpg

I have had a 35 12 for almost 20 years and have been looking for literature for as long, and I have never seen a 35 accessory catalog. Years ago I saw a dealer's information book similar to the 34 version that is reprinted, and it showed some accessories including spotlights, but I don't remember details from then (about 18 years ago) well enough to tell you where it mounted, or if the roadster was shown. The lights were still the Packard/Lorraine type, and I believe had an all metal handle. That is the type that was used originally on my 36 12 also. I have a number of these Lorraines, including a few Packard badged ones in as much as I love spotlights. I can send you photos of them if you like. I would guess that where it is mounted now is about where it will have to be, I don't think you have a lot of room to move it. Dave packard12s@hotmail.com

Guest imported_Speedster

All I know is that you have to drill a BIG Hole in A-pillar.

Once it's in there, there's No turning back.

So you better be sure it's in a good usable spot.

Thanks, all. Yup, there's a big hole in the A pillar. Of possible interest, the Packard Library only site has a 1936 120 accessory book that has a spotlight in the same place (and with same hole locations, it seems) as the 1934 accessory book above,