ABS Tester on ebay

Guest grayghost

Guest grayghost

There is a KENT MOORE J-35592 ABS PINOUT BOX on ebay. The price is about $80 with a shipping charge of about $10. This is the tool specified in the FSM for diagnosing ABS problems.

I have an "ABS light on, no ALDL code" condition I am trying to fix or get fixed. But I don't think I want to spend this much for a tool I will only use once (I hope). Plus I don't want to use Paypal, the seller's required payment method.

I took my Reatta to the shop I usually use for repairs. They found no codes and said they did not have the tool to attach to the EBCM to do a full diagnosis. So I made an appointment with the nearest Buick dealer. I took the car in and waited. After a while they told me they could not finish the diagnosis because the mechanic who had the tool for diagnosis was off sick. When I called back a week later, they said it turned out that nobody in the shop had the tool needed. I phoned a local Pontiac dealer (since the Teves system was used in some Pontiacs as well as some Cadillacs). I asked if their shop had the needed tool. The person I talked to assured me they did so I made an appointment. An hour later the rep phoned back to say he was mistaken, so I canceled the appointment. I phoned a Cadillac service department. The person I talked to assured me the department had all the tools needed to diagnose and service any Cadillac going back to at least the 80's - but he said he couldn't interrupt any techs to confirm this. He said I cold bring it in Monday, but he did not actually make an appointment. The dealership is not too far away and they offer a shuttle service. I am on vacation, so I may take it there. I phoned another Cadillac dealer further away. The rep I talked to there also insisted they had the tools to diagnose a Teves ABS system. If the first dealer is not able to perform the diagnosis, I might try them. Or maybe I will try it myself - it might not take any longer than going on wild goose chases.

I think I have eliminated the ABS relay as the source of the problem. I removed the relay and applied voltage. I heard it click. I also tested for continuity across the output contacts with the voltage applied. It was there. I did not switch the ABS relay with another relay. Maybe I should do that, but it seemed redundant after the voltage and continuity test.

Has anyone ever done ABS diagnostics by using standard male/female connectors to connect to the ECBM harness? Is this easy to do without risk of accidentally causing damage? I read many posts about ABS problems in the forum but did not come across any that mentioned doing this.

If a forum member buys this item on ebay, maybe they will be willing to rent it to me. (Just kidding!?))

I have developed some techniques but the first question needs to be "Did they know how to pull the ABS codes ?" - it is not done with a normal scanner. Instead you short two pins on the ALDL connector (A-G for an 88, A-H for 89-90, something I do not know for a 91). And count the flashes of the yellow ABS light (is describled in section 5E of the FSM).

Guest steakneggs

From what I have read in the FSM (during those dark days before the conversion) the ALDL does not provide much info, only electrical issues. I would not spend any money on a tool for that purpose. If the padgett suggestion does not work I would just check all the connections, fuses and relays. Steak

Guest grayghost

The J-35592 does not connect to the ALDL. It connects to the ECBM harness at the ECBM. But yes, when the FSM diagnosis charts are followed using the tool, most of the problems found are electrical - shorts or opens. The tool just gives a convenient way to identify which circuit or components are causing the problem.

Gray, the dealership is going to rape you, count on it.

Get yourself a service manual if you don't already have one, find a decent independent mechanic and let the "experts" here guide you through the isolation of the fault which you can then direct the repair of. I speak from personal experience and from 7 years of reading every post on this forum; the dealerships are not in the business of servicing obscure 20 year old systems, and you're asking for adjida bringing them a Teves to diagnose.

Looks like nothing more than a breakout box. While there are some instruments I would find useful (CRT tester, 90-91 entertainment diagnostic box, this is not something I would spend $100 for. My biggest problem in troubleshooting ABS issues were that the codes in the FSM were wrong.

BTW it would help if people would just give a general idea (city, state, country or even just area code) of where they are either in their profile or in the message. There might be someone nearby who can help.

Guest grayghost

Two questions (one is kind of dumb):

1) how do you get the cover off the ALDL (89)?

2) what are the correct meanings of codes flashed by the ALDL?

Guest grayghost

I have the 89 FSM. That's where I found the reference to the J-35592 tool for diagnosing ABS problems. I'm sure you're right - the best thing is to be able to tell the repair shop exactly where to look for the problem. I'm kind of embarrassed at the moment - I can't get the cover off the ALDL.

Guest grayghost

question 1) answer - depress the tab on the top of the cover (instead of lifting it) while pulling the cover (and/or pushing the cover from the rear with the edge of a screwdriver)