All is quiet on the Eastern front ...

24T42

Guest boblove

It's Christmas eve and Santa arrived today bearing "The Letter". All it says is that I am a recipient of a 2008 AACA National Award (not which one!). Is there a way of finding out because right now I don't think I'll be able to attend the National Meeting.

Bob Love

Tallahassee Region

Webmaster & Newsletter Editor

Bob,

Congratulations. smile.gif

I am thinking that it is for something other than a Master's. Usually when it is for a master - either print or web - the letter states that is for a master and for which one. In the past when I have received one of these cryptic letters, it is for a service award. Did you go a National tour this year? Did you enter a car in a National show? If the award was for a car, you would have been contacted telling you you are up for consideration for a National award and asking for slides of the car. My guess is then you are up for a service award - maybe the Eady or Spark Plug? Either way, they don't like to say. Who sent you the letter? Sometimes that in itself is a clue!

Once again - congratulations. Glad someone got a letter.

Bob, a National Award is generally either a Service Award or possibly an award for your show vehicle, if you showed it this year.

The Publication Committee is in charge of the Master Editor Awards and the Ann S Eady Award, and that letter would be signed by Mike Jones of Pa.

Either way, Congratulations for a job well done!

Wayne

Guest boblove

Thanks Wayne and Judy,

I'm sure its not for a vehicle as I haven't shown one for judging this past year. I've been a past Master Webmaster winner so I am familiar with those awards. Thanks again and maybe I'll have to rethink my plans for attending!

BTW the letter came from Bo Croley.

Bob

Guest boblove

The wife and I talked it over. See you in February in Philadelphia! Let's hope most of that winter weather is absent that weekend. I feel for those in the northeast as we've been enjoying near spring-like weather here in the Florida Panhandle for the past few days. The forecast for Christmas day here is 78 deg.! Maybe I'll just pack some of it and bring it along for the trip!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Guest boblove

Thanks Judy,

Well, I guess I did something right. I got another reason to walk up to the stage today! A letter from Joe Gagliano saying something about a Master Webmaster Award. Starts the new year out right!

Bob

Congratulations Bob!

You will have a name tag "filled" with award ribbons this year in Philly. I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Last minute news from Clayton, NC: The Edwards' mailbox has been reinfestated with those pesky spiders. Judy tells me that the mailman won't come near her mailbox. eek.gif

Any hopes of AACA award letters arriving at her house are looking grim. smile.gif

Wait, my mailman just stopped by and left a very nice letter from VP of Publications, Mike Jones. Mike is requesting my appearance in Philly to receive an ME Award. I guess I'll take him up on it, just to meet all of my AACA friends again.

You guys keep an eye out for your mailman, now!

See ya there! grin.gif

Wayne

Guest Jan K.

Well, we haven't been in the running for any awards lately, but we're contemplating a trip to the annual meeting nonetheless! Scott has been requesting a return visit for the past couple of years. We all miss the friendly folks we've met during our previous visits.

If the stars align just right with all of our schedules, we'll see you there!

Jan K.

Guest imported_Bookreader

Jan, it is an award just to hope that you, Vern and Scott will be at the Annual Meeting. What a treat that would be.

Fran

The letter came today for my wife, Debbie, who takes care of the Central Chapter, Minnesota Region website. ( I provide her with a little technical support behind the scenes). The last time we went to the annual meeting was I think 1993. Maybe I have to see how much tickets are going for to head east.

We'd love to see and your wife, Brian. Get to Philly and I'll give you free tickets to our Publications Seminar! laugh.gif

Not that your wife should need any help, but you never know what you may learn from editors gathering from around the country.

Tell her congratulations for us. wink.gif

Wayne

Wow, 5 members watching this forum right now! Must be a record! wink.gif

Since we have a little interest here. I'm going to post a few teasers. Things we may bring up during the Publications Seminar this year.

1. A discussion about the NAAP point system and how points are received for content.

2. There was some interest in printers and what's available on the market.

3. Web Published Newsletters

(<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">And, I hate this one</span></span>)

4. Copyright infringements! Judy Edwards has preached this to me for years, so now I get to cover what little I know about it crazy.gif and maybe share some ideas that will prevent our newsletters from getting our organization into hot water with those well dressed lawyers. wink.gif

If you guys have any other suggestions, fire away. We'll discuss whatever's necessary to get the job done.

Wayne

I just checked and flights are $278.00 plus tax to fly direct from the frozen north. Now we maybe just have to see what the vacation schedule says. BTW, Wayne, thanks for the offer of free tickets for the Publications Seminar. I would hate to think I would have to go out on the street to find them laugh.gif

Maybe this has come up before but has anyone ever put together a list of web sites that you could check for copyrighted material?

Brian, it has been pointed out to me, that I misunderstood you. We will be discussing sites that have material that is "FREE" to use. For instance Wikipedia is one such site that can be used in this way. As far as I know there is no site that can "proof" whether material is free to use or whether it's copyrighted. Bruce Wheeler mentioned to me earlier that he has had to wait for "permission letters" to be able to use someone else's material. Yes, a slow process, but certainly better than a "libel" situation.

Hope this helps.

Wayne

Guest BruceW

Wayne,

Just to clarify my previous statement...

Actually in most of the cases, the copyright holders give me authorization in an email and the replies usually come back fairly quick, especially if it is a single person, such as the author... that has the copyright. I can usually get authorization back within 12 to 48 hours.

I've even had a few that must have been at their computers when I sent the request because the replies were within a few hours. Most are very gracious and accomodating.

I have had a couple instances with long waits or no reply at all from some large corporations such as Bonhams Auction House in England (guess I was too trivial for the effort of a reply). In that case, I move forward and use something else.

Anyway - I look forward to seeing you all in Philly! I may only be a spectator at the newsletter seminar this year providing there are no conflicts. Maybe we will have a bit more time to just visit??? (figure the odds!)

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

I just sent my check and have my reservations, air and hotel. I will be flying from the warm South Florida sunshine to the frozen north. I think I may need to have my head examined. Although I am looking forward to being at the annual meeting.

I'll save you the $$ on the head exam. Yea, your nuts along with the rest of us crazy.gifcrazy.gif in this hobby. At least you're in good company. grin.gif Hope you have a safe trip.

While there during the seminars, look for the guy (depending on day and room temp)in the orange t-shirt, "saftey" yelow/green or whatever they call they shade or if it is cool, black long sleeve t-shirt with Symantec (Norton anitvirus company) on it and you'll find me. In the event it is snowing inside the building (hopefully just joking), I'll have on a black jacket with Race Tech on the back.