Ford trunk or Door lock help ID

Guest jaysgarage

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drwatson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The key design says it's 49-50 Ford Door. </div></div>

I was looking this up when you posted it. It's kind of interesting that a key would have such a limited run. Does anybody know why this key was dropped after only 2 years?

Guest simplyconnected

Yeah, because it doesn't have any guide grooves. It wiggles up and down when you put it in, and doesn't slide easily. The long shaft might be for a truck or a station wagon back door.

Dave, Thanks for a great NOS trunk view.

As far as the key 2yr only design run. I think makers like to sync design changes with model changeovers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: simplyconnected</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, because it doesn't have any guide grooves. </div></div>

There should be grooves on the other side of the keys pictured if we could see. There's also a stylized auto impression on the far side too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The long shaft might be for a truck or a station wagon back door. </div></div>

The truck key (according to online catalogs) is different, and very much like the 1952-1954 car key. The woodie's back tailgate Has a unique lock through the upper (window) portion handle.

I think 5 3/4" isn't really all that long for a 1949 door width.

Also there are guide grooves on the other side of the key. I don't think they're any different from Ford keys for the next 10+ years, however. My door locks on my 1960 Falcon looked virtually identical to this, with a different internal mechanism of course.