65 Riv heater hose

srr60

First, I'd like to thank everyone for all the help as I get my Riv up and running well. Seems like I get one thing fixed and then there's another.

My molded upper heater hose deteriorated and began to leak. I've looked for a replacement but haven't been able to find a supplier much less a correct part number. The I.D. is 3/4" so I just bought some Goodyear hose and tried to install it. The problem is that it collapses when making close to a 90 deg. curve.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Is there a supplier of the OEM molded hose out there?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Rhett,

Find yourself a shop manual. It shows you how to route the hose so there are no 90* bends in the hose. I haven't looked at the illustration for quite some time, but if I remember correctly, when you're attaching the hose to the heater core, you run the hose down, loop it toward the engine, and up and back around to the heater core; you'll need quite a bit of extra hose length. You'll have a complete loop at the bottom of the hose when you're finished. If you can find it, you could run the hose through a coil spring so the hose can't collapse when it turns the corner. That's not OEM, but it might work for a while. It would work like the heavy plastic sleeves you find on the female end of a garden hose.

Ed

Go down and visit your local auto parts store with the old hose. There are molded hoses on the rack that you and he can pick through. Find one of the correct diameter and with legs that are long enough or too long (you can cut them). Then install it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. I was able to use standard 3/4 inch heater hose and use a stainless coil at the right angle bend. I found the coil at CarQuest. Worked just fine. Now if I could only get that dang 4GC carb adjusted correctly...

Rhett,

Thanks for letting everyone know what you did to get your problem fixed. So many times a good answer goes out but you never hear back after the fix has been made.

I gave up on the Rochester on my '63 a number of years ago. Look for an AFB; better performance, better economy, and much easier to tune.

Ed