Model 56 generator

Reo M

I just acquired a 1920 Model 56 Sedan Limosine and need a few items for it. I need the correct AutoLite generator and cutout as well as the Ball and Ball carburetor.

Can any one tell me the proper model number for the generator?

Can anyone suggest a source for either of these two items?

Look forward to sharing interests on Peerless autos

The Peerless of 1920 model 56, could be a series 3,4,5,6,or7...

The starting and lighting systems would be Auto-Lite, while the ignition system would be Atwater-Kent. Coil type CC, and a Negative ground system. The generator would be a "GH". The starting motor for the series 3 thru 6 would be an ME, and an MG for the series 7.. Regards to the cutout, that is listed as follows;by Auto-lite; Magnetic,mounted as a seperate unit or ontop of gen.

regards; jerry janson

James,

Welcome to the Peerless Forum and thanks for telling us about your "new" 1920 Peerless. I've been interested in these cars for 2 years now, ever since seeing a 1925 Peerless in an antique car lot in Montana and wanting to learn more about the company.

Have you been able to find out enough information about your car and Peerless in general? By looking through the Peerless Forum, you can find out a few things, despite my authorship on many of the posts! As time goes by, more and more people will add their opinions and comments...including more people with good practical experience with Peerlesses. I'm not a Peerless owner and have never even seen a driveable one { yes , they are GENUINELY rare autos }, but I have a fair reading knowledge of the cars. The best thing I have read about Peerless is an issue of Automobile Quarterly ( Vol 11, No 1 )from 1973 that I can flatly say you need to get if you own a Peerless car or truck. It just has about 30 pages about the carmaker in it; but they are well-written, cover models from start to finish, and have lots of color photos. These thin, hard-cover books are still available from AQ for about $25. I got one on e-bay for just $10 ppd. Have you seen the 8-pg. section about Peerless in The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942? 36 b&w photos, brief listing of most models.

When you have a chance, please send me some info about your car like ser.#, body#, town and state you live in, colors, special features, and name & location of previous owner. Either add to this thread or send the info via the PM feature here. I have been working on a record of all surviving Peerlesses and have never heard of your car before. Thank you!

----Jeff

Jeff,

I have found a variety of literature from the AACA library and also several period reference books via Google. The serial number is 261,288 and the engine # is 13347 which based on my research makes it a 1920 Series 6 car. Peerless termed it a Sedan Limousine. I bought the car from Michael Daily, who in turn purchased it from the Rex Hadley collection so I think you should know about the car. For some reason it had been identified as a 1917 but I believe this is erroneous.

The car has the same colors as when Hadley restored it ie black and red. It also has silver kerosene coach lamps mounted on it. It would seem out of character for these to have been offered by Peerless in 1920. Does anyone know if they could be authentic or do they reflect some personalization at the time the car was restored?

I live in Oxnard, California. Thanks for the pointer to the AQ

James

Rex Hadley was a member of our Peerless Car Club and the car is listed as a 1920 7 pass. model 56 limo. I have pictures of the car and will look them up. Our web page is down know and we are putting together a new one that should be on line the first of the year. We have several members with model 56 Peerless and some have extra parts. Send me your address and I will send you a list of model 56 owners.

The Peerless Motor Car Club

5001 Femrite Dr.

Madison, Wi. 53716-4131

James,

Thanks for the data on your Peerless and pointing out that it is the Sedan Limousine owned by Rex Hadley. I saw photos of it on Vault Cars, I think, and was amazed by the high level of restoration this Peerless has had inside and out. The side lamps in the pictures looked identical to an illustration I saw in an original ad I have for a 1913 38-Six, only upside-down. Have you seen the thread "Peerless Visit Forthcoming" here in the Peerless Forum? There's a photo there of a 1918 V-8 Limousine that Bryan Moran took. Merry X-mas, Jeff

****P.S.: Please see the "Peerless Records??" thread & <span style="text-decoration: underline">carbking</span> for the person Bryan mentioned with regard to CARBURETORS.****

Jeff,

I found and now have a copy of the AQ which you recommended. Thanks. If you can send me an email with your list of model 56s, ie year, body type and number currently known -I would really apprecaite appreciate it, or perhaps you could provide the listing on this site?

I sent you a list of the five 1920 Peerless autos I know about via PM. To send details of all the Peerless V-8's out there would take many hours < at my typing speed > . There are 40 or more of the different models ( 56,66,67 & 69 ).