Looking for a (Proper) 12 volt Horn for my 1916 Dodge

I Just discovered I have the wrong horn on my car

It looks right, but it wasn't working right, so I sent it to the Horn Shop and found out that there is nothing wrong with it.

It's just a 6 volt horn not a 12 volt ( obviously the wrong horn)

My car was built in Mid January 1916. and has a Magneto ignition.

Does anyone have a picture, or know where I can find the right Horn? THANKS ,Mark

Mark: Your '16 should take a 12 V Garford Horn. They are really scarce as they were used only a short time. I hate to be discouraging, but I have only seen 2 or 3 in 40 years of flea markets including Hershey every year.But, you never know some one responding to your inquiry might have one.

Jack

Guest imported_RAH

Big Mark,

Sorry to be so tardy with this response. Your horn IS correct for a Jan '16 car. It is a 2nd series Adams Bagnall. It is a vibrator type not an Aoogah type. It was used from Sept. '15 to Apr. '16. And, Bob, your horn is a Garford and is a motor driven. You will find the armature running crossways under that cover. It was used from Apr. '16 to Jun '16. initially. You will find these data in the DBC News Mar/Apr '87 and a follow up in Mar/Apr '88.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Thanks Rodger, I know it's supposed to sound like a rattle.

But, Bill Randall at the Horn Shop in Rome, NY tested it for me and found it is a 6 volt model (probably from another type of 1916 car) and the 12 volt system in my dodge overloads it. but it sounds fine on a 6 volt battery. Did Adams Bagnall make horns for other cars too?

• 1 year later...
Guest carnut1929
I Just discovered I have the wrong horn on my car

It looks right, but it wasn't working right, so I sent it to the Horn Shop and found out that there is nothing wrong with it.

It's just a 6 volt horn not a 12 volt ( obviously the wrong horn)

My car was built in Mid January 1916. and has a Magneto ignition.

Does anyone have a picture, or know where I can find the right Horn? THANKS ,Mark

I happen to have one complete with mounts as shown in the picture sent to you. I am at work right now but will get home about 1:00 am EST and will try to post a picture of it. carnut1929@bellsouth.net