fullmeister

1954 Buick Skylark #832 Documented and original

Guest BJM

It begs the question if this might also be the latest 54 Skylark left in existence, only 833, 834, 835 and 836 can follow. This was not necessarily the age of GM keeping the last one made, since it was only a 2 year model and they might not have decided to cancel the program for 1955.

OK, now I have to ask did I miss something? Wonderful car, wonderful story, fantastic original condition that should never be restored.

What is asking price for this historical piece?

Very cool indeed, I recently bought a 26 sedan from Paul Meyer. The car was sold at Wagner Buick that is located in the town I live, I know the 3rd generation owner of that dealership and reading this story I wish my car was not so old as it would be awesome to have the experience you have had on this 54--may I suggest a video be made of an interview with the gentleman that still works there, what a great piece of documentation that would be for the future owner. What is the price by the way ?

Guest imported_MrEarl

Re What is the price.... I think Ryan is in the process of trying to determine that. He had asked for help in finding an appraiser that might be familiar with the model. Considering how original and authentic it is, I think it will be difficult to put a price on. There is a history of sale prices for restored 54 SL's but this is the most original and unmolested example I have ever seen. It is truly a reference car if ever there was one. If banks had money these days, I'd rob one for this car.

May I ask if you have a shot of the body tag?

I have set up a small database tracking back all Skylarks. All have very different VIN numbers. But: The body numbers are following (for example G 745, 746, 747, 748, ...). To me this indicates that your VIN number ending 832 could be a lucky coincidence.

Dear Ryan:

Here's some more info for you:

The plate that's mounted on the door is what's known as the frame number. It decodes as follows: the 7 tells us it's either a Roadmaster or a Skylark, the A tells us it's a 1954 year car, the 1 is the plant code for Flint where it was built, and 090832 is it's sequence code, which tells us that it was built around mid-May of 1954, the 89,832nd car at Flint.

Factory records would lead me to expect an engine number between 504,898 and 553,896 as the original engine.

You should check the body plate for the body number, which is NOT the number on that small plate on the doorpost. It will be a number between 1 and 836, but probably not 832.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Ryan:

Great postings by everyone. Do you think the top is original? My understanding is the 53 and 54 Skylarks came with tops made of "Orlon" a new wonder material. This material was used on Skylarks only and available in white or black. BCA Judging Manual says this material is no longer available. Your car would provide a rare opportunity for the Skylark experts and purists to view an original material. Good luck with this car.

Yes, I found the body tag on flickr! smile.gif

3113688661_88e63eda5d_o.jpg

The body number is G 588, so I guess this could be the 588th Skylark. My database summarizes all info: http://www.1954buick.com/documents/7A1090832.pdf

But: A user from the 1954buick.com forum has found a 1954 Buick Century Convertible. The body number is G 8. 100_4088.jpg100_4084.jpg

If the body numbers are indexed, the counting of Skylarks G 1 to G 836 will fail.

Re body numbers:

The body number of 588 is for the 588TH Skylark produced. Note that the model number is "100", which confirms a Skylark. Note in the other picture that the model number is "66C", which is a Century convertible. Both sequences start at 1 and are UNRELATED to each other. This has always been true, back to the earliest times.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dear Jan:

It's not surprising if you know that I spent about 6 years, 5000 hours of study and $7000 on research stuff, including parts books back to 1905, to compile a compete listing of all Buicks by frame and engine numbers from 1904 thru 1958. That's of course after I already knew how to read parts books, spent about 20 years of miscellaneous effort in documenting my own Buicks and had about 29 years of working in big truck, farm machinery, and engine plants for Internatioal Harvester, including several months at Nuess in Germany.

The trick to restoring any car is knowledge !! I enjoy sharing what I've learned.

I'm also a mechanical engineer and a member of the Society of Automotive Historians, and a BCA member for nearly 40 years.

Regards, Dave Corbin

To those interested it appears this car has found its way on eBay.  See listing 

Regards.

• Like 1

Original post was over 10 years ago!    

The important fact is not that the original post is over 10 years old, it's the fact the used car dealer now selling the car on eBay has misstated a whole bunch of facts.  The most important one being the car is an original, unrestored automobile.  One rereading these posts may find information to the contrary.  The eBay listing did nothing to improve the image of a used car salesman with regards to factuality.

On 8/24/2019 at 1:15 PM, tnswt said:

The important fact is not that the original post is over 10 years old, it's the fact the used car dealer now selling the car on eBay has misstated a whole bunch of facts.  The most important one being the car is an original, unrestored automobile.  One rereading these posts may find information to the contrary.  The eBay listing did nothing to improve the image of a used car salesman with regards to factuality.

What facts have been misstated in the listing?  I have a particular interest in this car, since I have known of it since about 1960.

• Like 1