fullmeister

1954 Buick Skylark #832 Documented and original

I have a highly documented, all original 1954 Buick Skylark that I am need to sell. This car was purchased from the original owner about 15 or more years ago. I do have all of the exact dates upon request. This is a true 80,000 mile car that would be refered to as a survivor car. The paint, top, interoir, 5 kelsey-hayes wheels, hydrolics, etc. are all original. There are new tires, and the only other exception is that we had the bumper rechromed by Ogden Chrome about 10-12 years ago.

This car was sold in 1955 by way of a trade for two buick centuries which were delivered from a dealership in a small town in eastern oregon to the dealership in seattle where the car had been on the showroom floor for over a year. The car was driven back and delivered to its new owner who drove happily until his death in the 1980's. Where upon it was placed in a garage on the side of the home and esentially parked at that point.

This is where my mom comes in, she remembered the car being local parades hauling dignitaries. At that point she was very interested in collecting 1950's autos. She made inquires of who she remembered being the owners and sure enough the 80+ year old wife of the original purchaser said that she had the car in her garage whereupon she showed us to the back yard and opened a totally run-down, falling-down garage and there was the buick under about 20 years of crap and dust. She told my mom that she was dying and that she had three children who all wanted the car, but didn't have the money to purchase the car outright. She said that she had not planned to sell the car before she died that she would let the children figure it out. However she said that she was exceited because all of the previous people who wanted the car were men, she was excited that my mom was a woman and interested in the old car. They talked price for a few minutes the seller said that she could not divide the car 3 ways but that she could divide the money. They agreed on a price and the money changed hands. The next morning I went with my uncles and mom and dad and pulled the car out of the garage.

It really only needed the gas tank and fuel lines cleaned out and the carb rebuilt and the brakes bled, fluids changed and we fired the old girl up and drove it around the block.

Since that time we have enjoyed it enormously taking it to local car club events and even a couple of shows. It is really fun because those who know what it is are absolutely extatic at seeing a "real one". Even those who have no clue what it is appreciate the neat 1950 convertable look.

We hoped that it would never come to pass that we would have to sell the car out of the family, but due to unfortunate business circunstance we are forced to sell now.

The car is light blue in color with an off-white top(could be it was white but has aged). The interior is two toned white and blue and has the original pressed leather pigskin seats.

We have never changed the car over from the original 6 volt system and it still has the gas pedal starter. We even have the steel pieces that fit over the top of the sparkplugs. Most of these were removed by dealers and chucked as it made it a nuicance to change the plugs out. Ours we found in the trunk of the car.

I do have pictures of the car, I welcome questions and am happy to show it to anyone who would like to kick the tires.

I have all the documentation that I have written above as well as a bunch of other nic-naks that go with the car. I believe that the car has every option available for 1954. It does not have a/c but I do not know if it was available on this car.

Let me emphasize here that this car is all numbers matching all original no rebuild on the engine, even the top is original.

This could be the most original 1954 Skylark in existance.

My name is Ryan Fuller 801-420-0395. The car is my mothers car and I am representing it for sale for her. She is also available for comments and questions if desired.

My email address is ryanhfuller@gmail.com

I am also looking for a qualified individual to appraise the car so that I can post the appraisal to the club here. So I would welcome this type of inquiriy as well.

Thank you for reading!

Ryan Fuller

ryanhfuller@gmail.com

(801) 420-0395

I do have lots of pictures of the car I just cant figure out how to add them to this posting

I have put the photos up on www.flickr.com so that anyone intersted can look at the car.

It looks like you have to create an account to see them but I have them "tagged" as 1954 Buick Skylark.

The Color of the car is Robin's Egg Blue with two tone blue interior and it has black inner fender wells. I have a picture of the build plaque on the VIN on the Flickr site. If you would like me to send you the pictures personally I will do it.

Thanks again for looking

Ryan

Here is a link to post into your browser address bar to see at least one photo!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3031/3113691413_d1af637907.jpg?v=0

Guest imported_MrEarl

Oh my, my, my... what a Beautiful original Skylark!!! It is rare to see any 54 Buick in this condition, much less a Skylark. I love original, unmolested cars and I would take this car over any restored 100 point car any day. I have seen so many of these beautiful cars either over restored or just incorrectly restored. Please express my utmost appreciation to your mom for keeping and maintaining it in this condition.

The color appears to be Malibu Blue. You can confirm this by checking to see if the Data Plate on the cowl shows # 11. It is a 12 volt system and your are correct that AC was not an option for the Skylarks (or any other 54 Buick convertible) due to the huge evaporator box that sat in the trunk and air tubes that typically came out of the rear shelf, of which a convertible did not have.

It's late and the sand man has come so must cut this short. I signed into Flickr and was not able to find your SL. It was my first time on Flickr and I was awed at the number of 54 Buick pictures. I will try again as I love seeing all the original details that are so often left off of even the most expensive repros. Such as the inspection stamp on the heater fan housing on the firewall, the reference to "Fill to top with transmission fluid" (most repros reference "hydraulic fluid" and the correct pulley's etc etc. I would sincerely appreciate it if you would email me as many detailed pictures of this car as possible. The car is well beyond my budget, (unless you would be willing to trade for the vehicles listed below in my signature plus 8-9 parts cars) but I will be glad to help find a good home for it anyway I can.

I would be glad to help post pics on the 1954Buick.com forum also.

my email is victfarm@bellsouth.net

I really hope my lottery numbers get drawn tomorrow night...not a big jackpot, but enough for this.

This is a wonderful looking car. It has its flaws, but being in original condition and over 50 years old, that has to be expected. My keyboard, as well as MrEarl's, still seem to be functioning in spite of the drool.

Good luck with the car.

And thank god for people who through the years continued to love that 'old car' stored in those garages and barns.

MR. Earl-You are correct, I have checked the code plate and it is a #11. Which would make the car Malibu Blue rather then Robins Egg. Thank you for enlightning me and all of the interested parties on this car. Very Helpful!

Regards,

Ryan Fuller

ryanhfuller@gmail.com

(801) 301-0302

I will email you as many detailed pictures as I can take. I believe that all of those item mentioned in your post are indeed intact. I will have to take the cover off the inner fender to see if I can get a picture of the hydro pump for the top and windows (which work just like ought to might I add). I believe there is a white number "70" stamped on the heater. The car also has the original glass "jar" for the wiper fluid and a sticker on the driver side quarter window with some kind of ceram-o-plate paint protection(may have been added by dealer). I have a key to the car that appears to be original. It has kind of gold hue to it (like it may have been plated) and the it is enameled at the head. I don't know if the picture got posted or not, but when we were cleaning out the trunk of the car after we bought it there were these metal strips that sort of look like mini valve covers in it. We were going to toss them as it didn't seem that they had any relevance to the car, thankfully we didn't as we found out later that they are some sort of spark plug covers, though we have never installed them.

Anyway, I am hoping to get some time to take some undercarriage pictures (really unbelieveable almost completely rust free) and thn some of the special item picture that you requested.

Thanks again,

Ryan Fuller

ryanhfuller@gmail.com

(801) 301-0302

This car is from my hometown of Baker City, Oregon, and I met the original owner and sat in the Skylark in his garage in about 1978.

I first remember seeing this car on the streets of Baker City when I was a very young child in about 1960.

I am aware of the story about the dealer trade with a Seattle-area dealership, and this account was conveyed to me by both the original owner and by Eldon Baker, a now-deceased owner of the Baker Garage, Baker City's Buick dealership since 1913.

When I looked at the car in 1978 (last time I saw it), it was indeed completely original, including the convertible roof. If the car has been maintained in the same original condition, I suspect that it is indeed the most original '54 Skylark in existence.

I spent many years wanting this car myself, but it was never to be, and Skylark prices are far beyond my range.

I'm thankful that Ryan has posted here, since I have wondered many times about the fate of this car after it was listed on Ebay several years ago.

Ryan, for a bit of further history, here's a photo of the Baker Garage and the historic home situated next door. This home was owned and occupied by the Southards, who were the original owners of the dealership. My grandfather bought his first Buick here in 1916, and my '59 Electra and '89 LeSabre were also delivered by this dealership. I shot this photo in about 1980.

This last post was by Brian Laurance a fellow who saw the car in Oregon. I don't know why it wont post here on the site but I found it really fun to hear someone elses memory of the car.

I happened to call the Buick garage where the car was originally sold new two days ago 12-14 or 15. I did not now if it even still existed. I used 411 and sure enough my called was answered. I asked the fellow if he was a Buick dealer he said he was. I asked him if this was the same dealership as it would have been in 1954. He said it was and that he, in fact, was one of three salesmen who worked at the dealerhip in '54. I told him that my mom ownes a 1954 Buick Skylark that was purchased from the dealership. He said hold on a minute and when he came back on he asked me for the body number and he said he had a book with the sales that went back that far. I gave him the number and he confirmed that it was sold in August of 1954. He told me the name of the saleman who sold the car (now deceased). He said that the dealership is still on the same property as it was in 1954 and that he remembers the car being delivered to the customer and then remembers the car being serviced subsequently.

It was an absolutely amazing conversation to speak with a person who was at the saled counter of the dealership 54 years ago when this car was sold new. He distinctly remembered the car and it was just a fun expirence to speak with him. I have half a mind to put the car on a trailer and take up there and get some pictures of the car in front of the dealerhip with him sitting in the car. Wouldn't that be a cool post!

Thanks again to all who have been so interest in the Skylark.

Sincerely,

Ryan Fuller

ryanhfuller@gmail.com

(801) 301-0302

Ryan, I think that is the coolest thing I have heard in the last 20 years. How unreal was it talking to a guy that was on the sales floor at the same time your car was? History like that is priceless! Did you tell Brian (Centurion) about that conversation?

You seem to really appreciate the car for what it is and it's history, so those of us that are not players for it on this site will sure pass on the word and do what we can to help find an equally good new owner.

Enjoy!

Matt

Ryan, you made my day! Thanks for re-posting my original comments. I had deleted them because I worried that I had just jumped into the middle of your topic with my memories of the car, and wasn't sure that anyone would find them interesting. Glad to know that my recollections were helpful.

You must have talked to Glen Daugherty at the Baker Garage. Glen is way up in his 80's, but still active in the dealership. I first met Glen in October, 1960. I was seven years old, and he pursued my parents' '56 Pontiac Chieftain Catalina down Washington Street with his '60 Buick LeSabre 4-door hardtop demonstrator. A day or two later, he had sold my parents the first new '61 Buick delivered in town. Subsequently, my parents went on to purchase several new Buicks and GMC pickups from Glen, including the '89 Buick LeSabre I drive every day. My Dad, now 92, bought a new pickup from Glen just two years ago.

I am thrilled to learn about the book listing the sales. Now that I know that these old records have been maintained, I'll call my Dad to see whether he can obtain a copy of the information documenting the sale of my '59 Electra to the car's original buyer.

Brian-I totally appreciate your comments! I wish there was a way to post the pictures that you sent me. Especially the Baker Garage! Yes it was Glen and I about fell over when he told me that not only did he have the sales information, he was on the floor in 1954 and knew the original buyer of this car well. It was just stunning!! I asked him if I brought the car up, would he allow me to take a picture of him behind the wheel sitting in front of the Garage and he said sure.

He said that the Garage is largely the same as it was in '54. He said that the shop part is exactly as it would have been except for the paint.

My grandpa was a Checker Marathon dealer in Baker. I think in the 60's his garage is still there on 10th street. I wish that I had this kind of information on his sales (though they were few for sure). My uncle just sold my grandmas original Checker about a year ago. Man I wish I could have bought that car. Is was a column shift 6 cylinder, but man was it neat.

Anyway, I lived for awile up there and of course I spent tons of summers up there.

Thanks again for your post!!

Ryan Fuller

ryanhfuller@gmail.com

(801)301-0302

Matt-I am totally into "cool finds" like this where you can actually know how something came to be. I really wish I had gotten a recording of the original owner talking about the car before she passed. I guess the car was only 35 years old then smile.gif Anyway, I was absolutely stunned when the fellow at the Garage told me that he was working the floor when this car was delivered. I didn't know what to say to him. It made want to go buy a new Lucerne or something from him. He was so low key about it, it was jsut unbelieveable. He said to me like "oh yea, by the way, I was a salesman here when that car sold." I thought he must be joking at first, but it was the real deal. I doubt the dealer that sold me my last car a couple of years ago would remember me or even the car, yet this guy remembered details from this car more than 50 years old. I hope my memory is so good 50 years from now.

I really do appreciate the car. I really wish that I could buy it, but the price of the car is going up faster than my income that is for sure!! I can't see that changing anytime soon, I mean I am trying for "MegaMillions" but... Well thank you for the post and I am thrilled that you liked the story. I was hesitant to post as I didn't know if abyone would think it was as cool as I did.

Thank you for checking out the Skylark!

Regards,

Ryan Fuller

ryanhfuller@gmail.com

(801) 301-0302

Ryan, here's the photo of the Buick dealership from about 1980 (plus the house next door):

203baker_garage.JPG

And here's the dealership in 2007, as photographed by a couple of my Seattle-area friends as they drove through town.

BakerGarage2007.jpg

You are correct that the building has hardly changed at all for many decades. I do recall that there was a very large sign that extended entirely across the street during the 1950's, but have no photos.

Ryan, if you take the Skylark to Baker City to photograph Glen with the car, will you please let me know? I'd be more than willing to make the 900-mile round trip to Baker City for the event.

I know the old Checker Marathon dealership building on 10th Street very well. The Checker sign hung on the building for decades after the dealership was gone. I last visited Baker City in early November, and I spoke with my dad regarding this very building as we drove by. My dad's construction company leased this building for its shop during the late-1950's/early-1960's, before building a new shop farther north on 10th. I always thought it was cool that Baker City had its very own Checker Marathon dealership!

Talk about tracing down the history of the car! This is a phenominal story, considering the age of the vehicle, etc. Now if you can only trace down some of the guys that actually built it...