Web Page Design Programs

Guest normond

Guest normond

First, I would like to thank Peter and also pick his brain. I have been using Microsoft Front Page 2003 since it came out and there has been no upgrades to it. In those five years I am sure there are some improvements they could have made. Is there an alternative to using Front Page for our web design that any of you use or recommend. I am mostly looking to the near future of a re-do on the site and trying to get new ideas. The "publish site" feature is easy to use in Front Page but I would like to see other web page design features. Thanks in advance.

Norm/Volusia Region AACA Webmaster smirk.gif

www.aaca.org/volusia

I do a website for our local Mopar club (not a part of AACA). There are lots & lots of opinions about what programs are good, better & best.

I had started off with MS Frontpage, but now use Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 (there is now a newer version out as I have been using this one for a few years). I like certain aspects about it better, like the Macromedia Fireworks (their photo editing program) will fire up once you tell Dreamweaver you want to edit a photo in the site your building. Pretty cool.

But, like anything else, it's something you need to play with to familiarize yourself with it.

The only thing I see about Frontpage is that not every server will support certain MS extensions. However I never ran into a problem with that when I used Frontpage.

If you know anyone who uses Dreamweaver, I would suggest looking at it on their computer before I decided to give the MS program the boot. If you really really like the Frontpage, maybe consider getting an upgrade to the newest version (mine is older than yours - 2002 - so I couldn't offer a comparison).

Let me say that I know near nothing about web sites, although here's a rumor going around that I will be studying hard on this subject after the New Year. frown.gif

That said, may I add that my son Mike took a college level class in web design and finished with the opinion that "Dreamweaver" was hands on the favorite when compared to "Front Page". I've done a couple minor things to the Northern Neck Region's web site and after working with it, I'm not pleased with the backgrounds(wall paper), the link setups, and other things that escape me now.

Did someone say the meek shall inherit the earth? You sure, in my case, that wasn't the ignorant? smile.gif

Wayne

There is no "new" FrontPage, 2003 was the last for it. Microsoft had replaced it with Microsoft Expression Studio. If you keep the site simple, Frontpage still works fine. Although you may want to complimwnt it with other things. For the NC Region site had used Flash to greate .gif files for antimation. I could have done the whole site that way put anyone visting the site would have to have a flash player installed. Therefore I stuck to the .html format of Frontpage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: novaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I could have done the whole site that way put anyone visting the site would have to have a flash player installed. Therefore I stuck to the .html format of Frontpage. </div></div>

I agree. I think that *content* is way more important than flashy visual features.

It is also my opinion that antique auto folks (well, speaking for myself anyway!) can sometimes not be quick to upgrade to the latest computers, computer browsers, etc., and therefore, a simpler format may allow more people to be able to take advantage of the information you're presenting.

Also, keeping the flash to a minimum allows for faster load times. Especially important if your in a more rural area (like my area) where your members may not have dsl (in my county, about 1/3 to 1/2 have some form of dsl - the rest of the county its dial up only). All sizzle with no steak is not appealing.

I like simple and cheap (free). I use NVu for major changes, it allows multiple tabbed pages in the editor so you can cut and paste between pages easily. Also has source editing mode for fine tuning when needed. I use the editor built into the SeaMonkey browser for quick updates, it is the same interface as NVu but doesn't have the tab features and it is easier to maneuver to a specific problem since it is full function browser, then just turn on editing when you get in the right spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still using MS FrontPage 2003 and find it easy to use and adequate for the job. And as Novaman said; if you keep it simple it works fine. I prefer content and ease of navigation over flashy features. The other thing that concerns me is that my site has lots of pages and photos and I am unsure of the effort that would be needed to change over to a new web editing program not to mention learning all of the new commands and features. So for now I’m going with – if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Bob – South Florida Region Webmaster

www.aaca.org/southflorida

You have a nice web site Bob. I can appreciate the fact that your regional newsletter is up to date too....good job! wink.gif

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that our Webmaster, Peter Gariepy, will be presenting a Philly Seminar on web sites in February. Sign up now for a fun time in Philly. The whole hotel is heated too! eek.giflaugh.gif

Wayne

• 4 weeks later...
Guest normond

Question for you I read that use Dreamweaver.... how do you do your uploads with it. Front Page has the "kind of keep it simple stupid" publish site button that makes the screen into two sides, one your computer the other the server (at AACA). Then you just click to Publish it (again) and it starts the automated process (that USUALLY works)...

but I am interested in the Dreamweaver file transfer method.

Funny you should ask...

MS Frontpage is dead, and soon the technology to support Frontpage on the server will be dead.

SO...

It appears we'll be changing the way the websites work shortly. We will soon be using FTP (File Transfer Protocol) instead of "Frontpage".

Frontpage supports FTP but you have to have a full copy of your site on your computer, then use the "Publish via FTP" feature of Frontpage.

The upside is virtually ever other web editor out there supports FTP natively. Dreamweaver is one of them.

I'll talk more about this at the internet seminar in Philly as well as posting some instructions. This big change will probably take place in March.

Peter

There is another way to publish in Front Page other than using the Publish button.

After you have made your changes to the selected page, go to the folders view (looks like Window Explorer). Instead of publishing the way you describe (which compares what you have on the hard drive to what is on the Internet and then makes the additions, deletions or corrections)-

1. simply right click on the file name. A list of options will open.

2. One of those on the list is PUBLISH SELECTED FILES. Click on that.

3. A dialog box will open. I have FRONT PAGE OR SHAREPOINT SERVICES checked.

4. Then where it says REMOTE WEB SITE LOCATION, put your Internet address.

5. Click OK. Now only the file/s you have selected is published.

This is faster way to publish esp. if your web page is getting large.

Durant28,

"Why is Frontpage being dead?" You'll have to ask Microsoft.

Frontpage built websites will continue to work, even on the new server, but it's to the webmaster's advantage to start considering alternatives. Here's why -- although Frontpage may work on your existing computer there is no guarantee it will work on future Windows machines. Server support for Frontpage websites is dead, and as server technology grows it will outgrow Frontpage.

Keep in mind I suggested the use of frontpage in 1997! Frontpage has been a great product for 11-12 years but it's time to consider moving on to a new product.

As to those that want to live in Tucson to get product support - BRING IT ON! smile.gif

Peter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's why -- although Frontpage may work on your existing computer there is no guarantee it will work on future Windows machines. Server support for Frontpage websites is dead, and as server technology grows it will outgrow Frontpage.</div></div>

And Microsoft is talking about I believe it is called "Windows 7" coming out the end of this year or early next year and that will be replacing Windows Vista. I do know the new version is going through testing right now.

Thanks Pete

I just wanted to know if it would still work on the AACA server. We all know that Microsoft has to change things every couple of years so they can continue to get more money from us. I always like the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Besides the other programs I see out there to create web sites are very expensive. Do you know of any other good web site creation software that is reasonable?

• 2 months later...
Guest normond

I'm glad there was a lot of response on this. Next question is: Is anyone using Microsoft Expression Studio ? If so, what do you think of it and what version are you using?.. It appears to be cheaper than probably the Adobe Dreamweaver is around $200, academic versions are less (I'm too old to be a student!).......