Clicking While Idling

Butch_Cassidy

Im still trying to fix my electrical communications error code e042. The engine completely shuts off intermittently, expecially in idle, but will start back up again. So far I have replaced.

1.Ingnition module/ top and bottom

2. spark plugs/ wires

3. crankshaft sensor

4. Cam sensor

5. Knock Sensor

Ive checked grounds and ecm harness.

Today I noticed a new symptom that i didnt notice or its new. When its idling it will make a clicking noise then it will spike in rpms a little. Checked the ecm diagnostics and it will click then the comp triangle light will switch on, click-switch off, and repeat. I looked that up and i think comp is the a/c clutch output. It seems to become energized and then de energized with each click. What does this mean? Could it have something to do with the "electrical communication problems" and the 042 code.

Also side note. I replaced my knock sensor because it was giveing a ed17 reading of 9999, ed16 0 degrees never changed. Replaced it and its now giving ed17 255. and the ed16 still doesnt change, stays at 0.

Looked up what the clicking could be, this is what i found:

<span style="font-style: italic">"Engine makes a clicking noise when idling:

When the engine is idling you hear a clicking noise. Most times it gets louder as engine rpm increases. The problem may become more noticeable as the engine warms up. The noise may or may not get worse over time.

Possible causes:

1. Your valves need adjusting: Adjust valves or replace hydraulic lifters as required.

2.The engine is low on oil: Fill engine oil to specified level.

3.The engine's oil pressure is low: Determine cause of low oil pressure and repair as required."</span>

Checked the engine oil and its full. Do you guys agree with this and if you do, how would i determine if its the valves or oil pressure?

Yes, I agree that it could be a low oil pressure problem. That would explain the engine clicking and would also explain the engine shutting off at idle. When oil pressure drops below about 6 psi the power to the fuel pump is disconnected and the engine would stop. It would start back up when the fuel pump relay energizes during initial starting. What pressure is the "gages" section of the CRT displaying?

Please put the model of your car in your signature line.

Guest mongeonman

I would look if the EGR fonctions ok,it can stall the motor if not ok.Shut the AC off,it is not suppose to engage when it is off so it wont click,then you will know if the clicking comes from the AC.

" I heard it could be the a/c compressor shutting off and on because its low on refrigerant?"

I noticed about two weeks ago when I started receiving

a low refrigerant alert that the compressor shuts down

(and does not run) until the system is recharged to

prevent damage to the compressor.

Regards,

matthewlawe

89 White/Blue

Guest Bobby Valines

Matthew mine did that to but before it got so low that it shut off all the way for safety, it cycled causing the RPM to vary but not stall. Butch is your car stalling above idle while your driving giving it gas.

clicking is a.c. clutch coming on and off as designed. Spike in rpm is normal........as- it take more engine power to turn the a.c. compressor. Computer give more fuel. rpm should then drop to normal.........ken

disconnected the a/c low pressure switch and the car seemed to run a lot better. The clicking noise stopped as well as the rpms. I took the car out for a test drive and road nice, but then all of the sudden rpms dropped to zero, but didnt stall. The rpms picked right back up and the computer gave me the engine control problems message. Looked in the service mode and the e042 code popped up again. Continued to run the car for another half an hour and no problems. Have it idling in the drive way as we speak to see if it will cut out again.

So the tachometer readout (RPMs) dropped to zero but the engine continued to run ? Did the other gauges read properly ? If so try this: with a 7 mm six point socket, remove the 14 pin connector on the end of the ICM, check that everything is clean, then reinstall, pushing the connector ahead of the screw until everything bottoms. Use a 1/4" drive and just pull down snug, no need to overtorque.

I have seen bad connections there before and could explain everything. (so could a bad ECM or ICM but are lower probability particularly if the ICM was recently replaced - may have been the connector all along).

took a 50 mile trip today in the reatta, no problems on the way there other than a little rpm drop in the first 15 minutes but no error codes, then on the way back the rpms dropped all the way to zero but again picked up again and gave the engine control problem display and e042 code in service mode. The car continued to run and no problems for the rest of the trip home. Still have that connector unplugged underneath the glove box. Cant seem to find where it goes?