Advice on 39 / 40 Runningboard Mats

Guest 39Super8

Guest 39Super8

I am hoping someone here has installed running board mats on 39 / 40 Super 8 that could offer advice on this operation.

What is recommended to bond the mats to the running boards? Anyone have a specific brand, some first hand knowledge?

I posted this question on PackardInfo getting good comments and advice, but no specific glue recommendations. Steele Rubber is a bit vague on the subject of specific glue as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

I have used high quality, two part epoxy adhesive, from carpet/flooring supply or installers, usually 3M,and also adhesive from Rand Broadstreet which he sells with his mats. Make sure it is compatible with the material that the mat is made of - not all repop mats are rubber. I don't really think that you will have a problem with lining up the mat on the running board so you can put the trim on, and probably won't need to peg it. You will have more trouble with getting an even pressure on the mat to make it evenly adhere. You can try doing it with a large "bag" and a vacume pump, and if not that, try sandbags or iron weights on plywood. This is never any fun really. Good luck. You can email me if you want to talk more about it or give me a call if you still have my number, if not email me and I will give it to you. Dave packard12s@hotmail.com

This is interesting, guys. One cosmetic item left on my car is the running board mats, which I understand were unavailiable for 1939 for a period of time (during which my car was restored) although there is a person who will do these if you remove the running boards and send them out to him. Of course, that is $1,200 to 1,500.

Any recomendations on who you can get the repros from - specifically for 1939? Jim, I heard 1939 was the problem year, earlier cars no problem.

Thanks

Guest bkazmer

Steele recommended contact cement for their EPDM rubber mats, but I'm not comfortable with no tack time. Dave's comment on making sure of what the material is should be followed - some "rubber" trim repro is flexible PVC, and the optimal adhesive can differ. I have had good luck with asking 3M for advice after I knew the material type - they would recommend by product number and NAPA could get me what I needed. Do not go cheap here on adhesive!!!

Guest 39Super8

Dave,

I appreciate the advice on this. I have the mats and strips, but will likely wait just a little while to do this operation. I will likely give you a call when I get into this project.

bkazmer,

What does EPDM stand for? These are Steele mats. I am not real comfortable with no tack time either.

Steve,

If I am not mistaken, Steele has the 39 junior mats. The 39 senior 8 mats are fortunately the same as 40. They used to be impossible to get, but for the time being are available. 39 is a funny year, some stuff is readily available and some stuff is near impossible.

Thanks everyone,

Jim

Guest bkazmer

Ethylene-propylene-diene-monomer (sorry, you asked)

"rubber" and "plastic" are no more specific than "metal."

It's a common type of rubber for seals and the like. Mixed with carbon black, oil, filler,stabilizer, and vulcanized (cross-linked).