1939 Special steering box

Guest Grant Magrath

Guest Grant Magrath

Well, here I am again, pleading for your wise counsel! Where do you guys get bearings for your steering box? The cups that hold the bearings on our worm gear aren't the best, and I've been having a tough time sourcing them. Is it possible to upgrade with a few alterations, to a more common set?

As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Grant

Looking at the 1938-41 Master parts book Page 179 6.525 to 6.530

Bearing Group 6.530 Part 262200 is same for 1938 & 1939 40-60 and 1940 40-50-60-70. (They cost US$0.85 in 1941)

Have they got a number engraved on them ? (New Departure ? - Timken?)

I think 39's had change to the ratio during production. Don't have Service Bulletin here to check (Its in Chch)

Edited by 1939_buick
spelling (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

Great news! Bob's Automobilia have a couple left! I've already placed the order. Now, the hard part will be trying to keep my father from taking very illegal trips around the block! Thanks very much to you Allan, for all your help. Those torque settings you sent us with the carb adjustment procedures were invaluable. As soon as I upload it from the camera, I'll send you a video of the engine running!

Cheers

GRant

Hope you got the cup

More info

Reference 1938-41 Master parts book Page 179 6.525 to 6.530

(a) Bearing Group 6.530 Part 262200

Same for 1938 & 1939 40-60 and 1940 40-50-60-70.

They cost US$0.85 in 1941

(B) Cup Group 6.527 Part 263917

Same for 1938 & 1939 40-60 and 1940 40-50-60-70.

They cost US$0.60 in 1941

Just a thought for future reference...

More than once we have gone to our local bearing distributor and ordered a modern equivalent to a vintage bearing. They are usually identical, in the case of a sealed bearing, will have modern seal materials.

The guy behind the counter will usually take a measurement or two, and recite the equivalent part number off the top of his head.

There are very few unique bearings out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just a thought for future reference...

More than once we have gone to our local bearing distributor and ordered a modern equivalent to a vintage bearing. They are usually identical, in the case of a sealed bearing, will have modern seal materials.

The guy behind the counter will usually take a measurement or two, and recite the equivalent part number off the top of his head.

There are very few unique bearings out there. </div></div>

Agreed. Once Grant found the Timken part number I was able to find the exact dimensions in a Timken catalogue. The large bearing manufactures’ have interchange guides. Once you understand how each manufacture code system works interchange is not hard. I do this at work from time to time. My comment to Grant was to go to industrial bearing distributor and not a car parts place, but fortunately he found them at Bob's Edited by 1939_buick
fixed formatting for new software (see edit history)