62 Heater Core bad?

page2171

I guess it figures, I was planning on using some of the extra money I earned while deployed to Iraq to get some bodywork done on my 62 Electra. So, yesterday I got the car out of the garage to get at the Christmas decorations and let the car idle while I got the boxes out. After I put the car back in the garage and shut the car off I hear a hissing noise coming from the car and see the windshield fogging up on the passenger side. I popped the hood and listened to where the hissing was coming from and it sounded like it was coming from the heater box on the firewall. I suppose I will have to get in there and check things out. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Brian

Wish I could help but all I can offer is moral support, and this: I put off replacing the heater core in my 56 for over 15 years, because it looked so hard. Meanwhile this summer it took about one hour to get the thing out and 45 minutes to get it back in. The moral? The hardest part is getting started!

Good luck, and take lots of pictures..

Ditto here. Thought I'd be real slick and bypass for a couple years since I never drove it in the winter. Wrong!! Because it leaked it also made the duct work rust from the moisture. So even though I bit the bullet and finally reinstalled--yes it was a bear--my reward was to hit the fan to have a bunch of rust all over my carpet, and dash!! Don't wait like I did.

Thanks for the replies. I am planning on fixing it sooner rather than later. Even though I live in SoCal it is still kind of cool here sometimes and a little warmth is nice. I guess my Wisconsin blood has adapted to SoCal living. Speaking of fixing it, has anyone removed one of these before? I would imagine any full size Buick from the early 60's would be similar.