Sport Coupe 1933

Guest Juergen

Guest Juergen

Hallo,

a few weeks ago I wrote a topic about a 1933 Sport Coupe I was going to buy. Now I have a date with the owner -it is in the UK-

and I think I will buy it. He increased the price first during our negotiation but now he reduced again. I know that 1000 Serie 66S cars 1933 were build, does anybody perhaps know how many ca. existe now in riding original condition ?

Regards from cold germany

Juergen Walter

Hallo John Scheib, did you receive my last email to your alternative adress ?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Juergen

Hallo ,

thank you for the information. I had a date with the owner, a really very nice guy. The car ist beautiful, lot of parts and literatur is going with. But completly unexpected for me and the owner during the test drive a problem appears. There was plenty of dark black oil in the radiator coming out of the overflow. Now I am worried that it will be an engine damage, terrible !! Does anybody has some experiences about this problem ? What can happened, cylinderhead gasket, oil cooler, crack in engineblock or head ??? Is it typical for this model ? Thanks for any information.

Merry christmas and happy new year from germany

Juergen

Juergen,

I suspect one of the oil coolers is the problem. Logically the oil pressure should be higher than the water pressure in the cooling system. So, the engine oil would show up in the coolant. The oil coolers do help moderate oil temperature, but are not actually necessary.

I suggest you remove the oil coolers and repair the little radiators inside. Or just block the water connections to test this theory. It is possible that the water trapped in the oil coolers froze or just corroded a hole in one of the little radiatiors.

Juergen,

Yes, that was kind of depressing news, but I think the others may have given you the best (and probably most cost favorable) solution. It seems that there was no problem detected with the actual engine, but wtaer will likley also get into the oil through the heat exchanger.

I think your other experiences with older cars were not with the oil cooler on the side of the engine with the water pump. distributor, or the small box at the center. I think this was standard item on early 30's Buicks to better reduce the temperature of the oil. They have been know to fatigue.

This likely will present some interesting points with the current owner, as to who will do the repair, or if you risk purchase before the repair. Best of luck.

John

Guest Juergen

Hallo,

thank you for the informations, that gives me courage back that I am not really afraid of an engine damage. The owner promised me to make and pay all works that the engine an the car runs perfect. He is a religious , serious man, I think I can trust in that what he says ( I hope so). Perhaps the oilcooler is fatigue and can be repaired easyly.

Happy new year fron germany

Juergen

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Juergen

Hallo,

here some news about "my" 1933 Sport Coupe. The owner called me today and explainted the oilproblem in the radiator. Like John and Mark supposed there was a leak in the oilcooler, easy to repair. No crack, no head gasket. After cleaning oil- and watersystem and a few testmiles the car will run perfectly so promised the owner (I believe, what else...?)So I hope I have the car in 4 or 6 weeks. By the way, the wipermotor is not working and stripped down. I have seen an ebay USA offer for a working 1934 wipermotor. Does it fit to the 1933er closed model also, or is there a difference ?

Best regards

Juergen

Juergen,

I think these may be the same as '32, with a sort of heart shape on the side facing the interior of the car. I understand from wiperman in NY State, that these are very hard to ind and very hard to fix. But you should be able to find a suitable similar year replacement, as they are all rather close in size and operation.

John

• 2 months later...