Sign in to follow this  
West Peterson

Depression-era automotive bankrupcies

Some of you might find this out of place, but during the heat of the meltdown, Rush Limbaugh suggested that (1) the government give the American People the money to pay their mortages and loans off - thus saving the banking industry, AND then (2) for Congress to buy all the cars & trucks not currently sold thus saving all the auto makers - and then selling off or giving away the cars as they liked.

His figures estimates that doing these two things would have "fixed" the problems for less than the billions earmarked to save the economy.

You are so NOT out of line on this one... God bless you for stepping up to base. I must say that Rush missed out on this one because there should be a part 3) in addition to the excellent suggestions listed in item 1 & 2 a goodly portion should go to the brave men and woman returning from Iraq and Afghanistan with disabilities... God bless America!!!

Thank you everyone, especially you, Tom, for helping with this information. I just got off the phone with a television reporter in Oregon, and was able to help him with his story.

You're welcome West,

So, does that mean we'll hear your sultry voice lilting over the airwaves?

<span style="color: #000099">"<span style="font-weight: bold">Live from Portland...it's <span style="font-style: italic">WEST TV!</span></span>"</span>

Always glad to help,

TG

I'm always uncomfortable when being interviewed, so he probably junked the recording and just used the information. laugh.gif

West, the list is huge, grab a copy of the Standard Catalog of American cars to 1942. The number of defunct auto makers is huge.

And, does anyone remember that Great Britain had a car industry once?

BTW, for anyone who does not have a copy of the three book series of Standard Catalogs originally put together by Krause Publications. The first two volumes have been put out of print after 30 years of production thanks to the now parent company F-W. The 1806 to 1942 Edition has seen prices between $250 and $350 on ebay and Amazon already. If you spot one at Hershey or another swap meet grab it. These books are the backbone to any car collector’s book shelf.

Bob

I disagree, Bob. The list is not huge. Most of the car companies listed in the Standard Catalog were gone by WWI.

Ok West,

You got me on a technicality. Yes, a lot more went down for the count early on. I think I counted almost 240 companies gone by 1903, which is a unbelievable statistic. Many more to come before WW I as you mentioned. Add in the truck companies and it is off the hook. I would still call the number that did bite the dust during the Depression significant, if you don't want to call it huge. Today we are only talking about 3 companies. Of course they are giant by comparison and that is the big difference. When some of the fledgling car makers on left us, they did so without a ripple to the national economy.

How come you Americans always miss Canada ? Durant Motors went bust May 4 1931 so we rounded up the parts and continued the Durant models 614 / 618 June 1931 to end of 1932 and model 633 1933 under Dominion Motors which also produced the Frontenac June 1931 to end of 1933. Then Co faded into history. Continental lasted until end of 1934 and that too faded into history.

Nuts I missed Rugby car which was made in Canada for export at the Durant Motor's plant in Leaside (Toronto)Ont, for mainly England and Australia, but also Brazil and Argentina.

Not to be confused with Rugby trucks made US and Canada by Durant Motors at all plants.

Locomobile was Durant as was Dort and of course Star

http://www.durantcars.com/basics/history.shtml

Durant

Star

Rugby

Flint

Locomobile

Mason

Eagle

Princeton

Mathis

De Vaux

Dort

Continental

Frontenac

Another Canadian you missed is Gray Dort made in Chatham Ont. There were hundreds of little Co's that vanished.

Perhaps we need another William Durant who founded GM / Chevrolet by buying up car Co's. Chev was the renamed Little Car Co, Billy bought and put that name on it. He almost bought Ford to add to GM and Henry changed his mind at the last second.