What is leaking here?

gr8scott

I have a pristine clean garage floor, so I noticed the leak the first day it happened, yesterday. I placed an aluminum pan centered under the three-to-four drop leak under and just behind the right parking light and caught maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon amount overnight. After crawling around, trying to find the source I found it, but not being blessed with mechanical skills, I don't know what the leak is from. To my uninitiated eyes it appears to be coming from a line leading to the transmission fluid radiator. The dampness starts right about where the arrow points in the attached picture, and remains pretty soaked down along and beyond where the dashes lead.

Please advise on what I have here and what needs to be done. Thanks.

post-31407-14313802506_thumb.jpg

most likely, transmission fluid from the line or connector to the rad tank. color red-brown and slippery as in oil.

second bet,coolant and it would be the same color and feeling as the stuff in the overflow tank.

less likely and probably too much fluid the fluid from the bumper shock.

Hit the area with a shot of engine cleaner and see if you can find the source. Likely at the rad where the transmission likes join in.

Check transmission and coolant levels.

I'll give you $400 with the leak - as is?

Thanks for the pointers so far. It's too late and dark to do anything right now, but I did take another (flashlight) look. I don't see any leakage from where the transmission fluid line connects to the radiator. That's dry. The corrugated sleeve covering the line, as shown in the photo is quite soaked. I wiped what was pointed out to be a bumper strut, and will apply some engine cleaner to the entire area tomorrow morning, and then check frequently for any sign of fresh flow. The car's not a daily driver, so I can let it sit and see what happens. It just crossed the 60,000 mile mark and it's the first sign of anything awry except for the lumbar bladder, which I addressed on a separate thread last year. Will report back.

Guest CL_Reatta

Also, not to hijack this post, but what type of Shoes is your reatta wearing?... I can't quite make it out on the screen im on... Also i'm aswell gonna say (in your pic atleast) it looks like its coming from the strut

With a little cleaning and a dose of daylight I was able to narrow down the source to what most of you said: the energy absorbing strut. The fresh flow appears to collect at the bottom mounting bolt's area. The fluid covering the adjoining trans fluid sleeve was probably windswept onto it from the original leak.

According to the service manual, in order to replace the strut the fog lamp harness has to be disconnected, and the front bumper removed. As mentioned earlier, I don't have the aptitude to judge whether I'd be able to get into the restricted spaces and tighten everything back up as required, so I'd probably have to have this done at a shop. So the question is whether it's worth the effort and expense, or I should just let it be. I realize that the possible consequence could be additional body damage in a collision, but barring that, is there any harm in living with it as is?

Ooops, I forgot: there were a couple of questions concerning the type of tires I have and the lowered appearance of the car. The tires are Winston Winner GTs, unfortunately no longer manufactured. I did a nation-wide search through a tire dealership and they found none - at least in this size.

The lowered look was the result of some Photoshop doodling that turned out good enough to be a keeper.

post-31407-143138025124_thumb.jpg

Guest CL_Reatta

I'd leave it alone IMO, its not really a part that is THAT important to be spending all that time and money on... unless that is, its cheap enough to fix it.