"Myself When Young": a unique Model T "video" from 1984

Reid

Hello Ford T lovers,

I used to drive a '22 coupe, ruggedized, Rocky Mountain rear brakes, many "extras" on that car, such as pancake style front Hassler shock absorbers...

I restored everything myself, over a period of many years.

I ran that car as my SOLE transportation for five years.

I drove it everywhere, at all hours, in any traffic, from the Interstate, to across the Florida Everglades.

It never let me down, never broke down.

Eventually I removed and set aside the starter: not needed;

it would start on the spark, or by a quarter yank of the crank, almost every time.

Here is a portrait of myself at age 47, next to my steed,

which I deliberately painted in dull black Rustoleum--because that looks "more authentic" (weathered) just like the cars turned quickly weathered in service:

screenshot6485qhyy3.jpg

Next post, I would like to share with you, its beginnings, many years earlier.

It is a deteriorated "home movie" from 1984.

It was and is made and played by the infamous "Edsel" of home movie systems,

POLAVISION.

I have set the silent film to music...."Myself When Young".

You will see this car's very first foray onto the public road,

just the running chassis then;

the song, the song, makes it all so beautiful.

All things must pass...

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3jto8f2ooI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3jto8f2ooI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

I was twenty nine then.....

<span style="font-style: italic">

<span style="color: #00CCCC">Myself when young

Did eagerly frequent

Doctor and Saint

And The Great Argument</span></span>

Today, I am 54, and have lived for years with chronic illness,

lately in full remission.

I am <span style="text-decoration: underline">fine</span> today, <span style="text-decoration: underline">no</span> health troubles.

But what about that coupe? DESTROYED, January, 2004;

T-boned by a woman driver <span style="font-style: italic">yakking on her cell phone</span>;

she turned into my path. The car was shattered, ruined.

I got "book value" (15 grand) for the mere thing.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #00CCCC">

I came out by the same door

Where in I went..........</span></span>

_____

<span style="font-style: italic">

<span style="font-weight: bold">Life</span> as art. <span style="font-weight: bold">Cars</span> as art. <span style="font-weight: bold">People</span> as art. </span> <span style="font-weight: bold">You</span> <span style="text-decoration: underline">are</span> art.

Thank you for looking at the video link,

Reid Welch,

Miami, Florida

• 1 month later...
Guest Speedy1

That was a nice Model T. It is a shame when something you have worked on much of your life is taken away from you. And in the eyes of the masses you were duly compensated. To someone who has invested as much of their self into a project as you obviously did, we know that no amount of money replaces that loss. I have a project that I have put similar time in, and need to put more in due to the ravishes of time, and understand what it would be like to lose it. I also have a '26 T touring car that I unlike you in your youth, am saving as a retirement project, health and God willing. I'll pray that you find another project and that you have the health needed to be on the road again. I hope that you will be able to loose the bitterness that might exist gathered from the edit notation at the bottom of your post and that you might find the strength to forgive that woman not for her but for you and that through that you might find that strength to build another fine automobile.