Buick survies the axe

Don B.

In the GM restructing plan Buick, Cadi, Chevy, and GMC are the only ones left standing.

Saab maybe sold off but the others are gone.

What happens to the Pontiac line up? Here are some thoughts.

Pontiac-----------------------Buick

G8-----------renamed------------Skylark GS

Vibe/G5----renamed------------Skyhawk

Solstice-----renamed------------Reatta

G6-----------renamed------------Regal

Hummer-----renamed-----------RoadMaster

They dumped Olds partly because it had more "product lines" than Pontiac or Buick. Saturn then made a mistake by trying to position between Pontiac and Buick so just took sales from both.

Pontiac has more product lines than Buick. Wonder what the Swedes think about dumping SAAB ?

GTO already went.

BTW, from the GM report

"Significant efforts have been expended to combine the Buick, Pontiac and GMC (BPG) brands into a single dealer distribution network, with approximately 80% of these brands’ combined sales sold through BPG-branded stores. This channel will be fully competitive in terms of total entries offered, with Pontiac serving as a specialty/niche brand with reduced product offerings solely intended to complement Buick and GMC models and reinforce the channel as a whole.

Hummer has recently been put under strategic review, which includes the possible sale of the brand. GM will also immediately undertake and expedite a strategic review of the Saab brand globally. Finally, Saturn, which has performed below expectations, has a unique franchise agreement and operating structure. As part of the Plan, the company will accelerate discussions with Saturn retailers and explore alternatives for the Saturn brand."

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/newspublisher/support_file/12-02-2008/38/081202%20Congressional%20Submission%20Final20081202153829.doc

This is not the same as saying the Pontiac name will go away but independant Pontiac dealers will probably become BPG unless the market is too crowded.

A little more from the report:

"Significant asset sales completed or underway

- GMAC (51%)

- Allison Transmission

- Suzuki

- Isuzu

- Fuji Heavy Industries

- Electromotive Division

- AC Delco (in process)

- HUMMER (in process)

- Strasbourg Powertrain Facility (in process)"

Guest jcrules78

This GM, Ford, Chrysler bankruptcy thing is truly depressing me. Especially GM. I have had nothing but GM products my whole life, and I consider myself somewhat fanatical about General Motors products and their intriguing history. I was crushed when I learned that there would be no more Oldsmobiles made after 04 (Hello!?! Ransom started it all for the future creation of General Motors Co. with his Curved Dash back in 1902). If they seriously are going to can Pontiac, I will be pissed.

What's the future of our American Big Three. Are we going to have foreign bastards building Fords and Chevys in a few years? It was bad enough that Chryslers were German-made for a period of time, can you imagine a Japanese made Buick? Sorry about the rant guys, but this whole debacle is seriously breaking my heart.

JCRULZ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcrules78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This GM, Ford, Chrysler bankruptcy thing is truly depressing me. Especially GM. Are we going to have foreign bastards building Fords and Chevys in a few years? <span style="font-weight: bold">can you imagine a Japanese made Buick?</span> Sorry about the rant guys, but this whole debacle is seriously breaking my heart.

JCRULZ

</div></div>

Chinese built Buicks are of a very high quality, desirable and profitable in China where they are built and sold.

GM has invested billions in China and now USA will also invest billions in GM (and China). I know they say the money will stay in the USA, it won't and can't!

PS: Buick survives??? news to me, when did that happen?

PPS: There is no them and us, there is only we all peoples of the world.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EDBS0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PS: Buick survives??? news to me, when did that happen?

</div></div>

Please read GM restructuring Plan Page 18 Section 6.1 Paragraph 1.