Sign in to follow this  
Guest BJM

Peerless CCCA List

Guest BJM

I agree with Jeff.John's car is very impressive. It's a CCCA qualifier. I would make application.

I had a nice conversation with the owner of a Peerless that IS a Full Classic this week. Rod Folen, who lives in Oregon, had a 1928 Model 8-69 Peerless for 16 years (he sold it two years ago). This car was the last-of-the-line for the Peerless V-8's, which go all the way back to 1916.

• I've never seen a picture of this car, but here is some data:
    • base price of car was $3,095 new
    • color: Black
    • model: 7-Passenger Custom Sedan
    • w.b.: 132"
    • formerly a Bill Harrah car
    • "It's a wonderful road car."
    • "The engine has offset banks, not fork & blade."
    • rounded headlight design rather than the earlier drum
    • 1928 V-8 Peerless serial numbers run from B690 001 to B690 694
    • there may be as many as four of the 1928 V-8 Peerlesses around
  • I read in the Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942 Vol. I that all Mod. 8-69's had 126 1/2" wheelbases, but this very helpful resource can't contain every bit of information. The 8 pages about Peerless have 38 photos and tons of helpful details. They just don't go into the breakdown between the w.b. of the 4 & 5 Passenger body styles (Roadster, Coupe, Custom Sedan 5-P) and the 7 Passenger (Custom Sedan 7-P, Custom Sedan Limousine 7-P).

My guess is that this would be a pretty decent-looking car.

Edited by jeff_a
I can't get an editing job anywhere else. (see edit history)

News Flash! I just read on the CCCA site that they have expanded the definition of Peerless Classics again and now are including "All 1915-1924; ". My God, that means that the Model 6-70 is finally accepted, as well as the Model 56 and 66 Peerlesses!

A   D   D   I   T  I   O   N   A   L               D   A   T   A :

About 10 years ago there was a good article on the CCCA site on all the makes that produced Classic models, "Why We Define Classics As We Do & By The Numbers" by Jon Lee, serving on the Classification Committee of their club. It's on their site under "Download Full Text" on "What Is A CCCA Classic", found by clicking on the "Grand Classics" option located on the home page. It pointed out that about 1.5 million cars were out there, at one time, that qualify. The figure for Peerless was 6,445 -- about 6% of total Peerless Motor Car Corporation production for 1900 through 1931. Due to the efforts of Peerless Motor Car Club members John and Sherry Knight, the 8-125 was recognized four years ago.

Additions to list of Classic Peerless models:

..........Estimated Production Numbers......Model.........................Years........................(estimated # of survivors from KPAIE spreadsheet)

original CCCA figure 6,445+....(includes most of nearly 4,000 8-cyl. models from the 1930s and the four 12- & 16-cyl. prototypes, and most of the 1,500 8-67s & 1,763 8-69s)

..................................1,154......................8-125...........................1929.........................................(6)

................................30,737+....................56 and 66....................1916-22 and 1923-24.............(43) 28 + 15

..................................1,857......................6-70.............................1924.........................................(1)

.............................unknown......................36 (48-Six)...................1915.........................................(1)

.............................unknown......................54 (All Purpose Four)...1915.........................................(0)

.............................unknown......................55 (All Purpose Six)......1915.........................................(0)

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Total........................40,193+.....................7 new models.............10 additional years....................(51)

In an analysis of total Peerless numbers I wrote, I came up with overall Peerless V-8 production of 34,000+, 1916-1928. Subtracting numbers for the 8-67 and 8-69(already CCCA Classics) gives you the sum of 30,737. Model 56 and 66 Peerlesses were quite well-designed and powerful and have similar powerplants to the already accepted 8-67 (1925) and 8-69 (1926-28). The 6-70 was in production February, 1924 to March, 1925 and I took 2/3 of total cars built(2,786) to get 1,857. Just two 1925 6-70s are known to have survived; ones built in the last 5 months of these 14 months of production were considered 1925s. I've been a fan of the 6-70 since I first saw one 10 years ago and think it's capital that the CCCA has included it for its first year of 1924 when it joined the similar Packard Single Six and Pierce-Arrow Series 80. Jon Lee wrote a piece here on the AACA Forums(please see Post #5 of this thread) suggesting the 6-70 and 6-72 be included as Full Classics. The year 1915 is hard to sort out. I have no idea how many of the last 3 models above were built. One source [The Standard Catalog, 1996] tells us Peerless production for 1915 was 3,618. Whether that is just cars, or includes Peerless trucks, I don't know. There's only 1 car left, and 1 or 2 trucks, so it's kind of academic. Another source [Motor Age, 1920] claims production of the three 1915 models as 36: 100, 54: 2,399, 55: 4,899 [7398 total]. I find the numbers for the Model 54 & 55 a little hard to buy, more like a sales projection.

UPDATE: As of July, 2018, 2 1925 Peerless 6-70s have been found.

Edited by jeff_a
Found an iffy 2nd source for 1915 Peerless figures, and fixed typos re: original CCCA figures. (see edit history)

No CCCA is not getting desperate for members, but in March 2015 by a favorable vote of the members, certain cars built between 1915 and 1924 would be accepted as full classics after a review by the CCCA Classifications committee . I am a member of that committee and on the CCCA National Board. Random choices are not being made and a lot of hours are being spent on research as to what cars, and models/series would be acceptable. Members input is encouraged and most welcome with the reasons they feel that certain cars should be deemed classics. Cars of European manufacture are also being researched as well for possible acceptance..

What is so special about having your car classified as a classic by the CCCA?    Does that make it more valuable?

I have had my 1916 Peerless since I restored it in 1952.  It has always been an antique car and now it is a classic.  WHY?

It means that is is allowed to attend CCCA meets and tours.   Some people might like that and others might not care.  Generally it causes a fuss because people get upset when their car is not included. 

Personally, I'm ok with the current approach of going older with very high end cars.  Going into the 50s would not have felt right.