Door Skin Fasteners/Window Parts

Guest RivieraBear

Guest RivieraBear

63 Riviera. I'm looking for a supplier for the fasteners that attach the door skins to the door frame and the guide arm for the electric door windows. I hear they're bonded to the window glass or they're part of the channel that is bonded to the window glass.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Bear!

Shoot us your name, we are a pretty friendly group! I don't know of a supplier for new "T" bolts, but they show up in the Riview (ROA magazine) and on ebay from time to time. 63 to 65 are the same.

The window "guide arm" is like an appendix in a human being, you can get by just fine without it. The 63 Riviera was GM's first attempt at a "frameless" window hardtop, and they went a little over board with the design. Most of those arms broke in the 60's, it is rare to find them in one piece today! Close the door with the door handle instead of pushing on the window glass and you'll be fine. Welcome aboard!

Tim McCluskey

Guest RivieraBear

And thanks for the input, gentlemen! I'll tell the body shop guy to forget the new part for the windows.

Colin Payne

Vicenza, Italy

63 Riviera

Obtain a 1/4 inch bolt of the same length and grind the head into a "T". Keep your fingers away from the grinding wheel by using a vice grip to hold the bolt. If the vice grip gets caught between the grinding wheel and the guard it will hurt less than if your fingers were there. It will also require less clean-up.

The window will actually operate more quickly when the pivot arm is broken but the glass will rattle in the door when in a mid-range position. GM wasn`t in the habit of adding unnecessary parts, there is a trade-off for eliminating them. They are available, I see them from time to time on Ebay. But be forewarned the `63 pivots are exclusive to that year. I am not 100% sure but I dont think a `64 or `65 unit is exactly the same. I`m sure someone here will expound on that. Good luck,

Tom Mooney

• 2 months later...
Guest RivieraBear

I made some of these fasteners myself...and it was relatively easy, even here in Italy. I got a strip of metal the correct thickness, some studs about 1/2" long x 4mm, and some nuts to go along with the studs. Then I drilled some holes in the metal strip, tapped the holes, put in the studs with some lock-tite, staked the studs on the back and now we'll see if they work well or not. I've got my fingers crossed.

Colin