Sign in to follow this  
jeff_a

"New" Peerless Discovered!

On 8/31/2017 at 6:21 PM, jeff_a said:

The HMN ad doesn´t show engine compartment photos. If you type in www.barnfinds.com, one finds some. These clearly show a Peerless ¨Collins Six¨ or ¨Superb Six¨ 289 Cu. In. engine, and also lists an auction ending in 20 hours(3:00 PM Friday) with bidding up to about $9,500. Barnfinds.com lists it as a 1925 6-70.

This is the only existing Peerless sedan with the interesting ¨1/8 windows¨ behind the windshield, TTBOMK, and that does conform more accurately to a 1924/1925 Model 6-70 than a 1925 8-67. The Cadillac-like rad shell this Peerless has was only used on the V-8 Peerlesses in 1923 and 1924. They appeared on only one Peerless Six model, the 1924 6-70(and a few early-1925 6-70s). In April, 1925, the 6-70 was replaced by 6-72.

I´m thinking this is actually a 1924 or early-1925 Model 6-70 Sedan/126¨ w.b./$2,995 new, making this one of THREE in existence. The other 6-70 cars are a 1924 5-Passenger Touring Phaeton now in Texas(rough shape when I last saw it 8 years ago) and a 1925 5-Passenger Touring Phaeton in Sidney, MT which came from Saskatchewan, Canada in Sept., 2018.

Peerless-3-630x394.jpg1925 Peerless 6-70 Sedan in Apex, NC

photo: barnfinds.com

post-49853-143142992503_thumb.jpg1924 Peerless Six-70 Touring Phaeton, from Bozeman, MT, now in Richards, TX

photo: Kathleen Brown

Screenshot 2018-09-20 at 9.48.10 AM.png1925 Peerless 6-70 Touring Phaeton from Canada, now in Sidney, MT   photo: Mack Auction Company

The Light Yellow & Brown Sedan is still for sale.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
On 2/25/2015 at 1:00 PM, jeff_a said:

Another green Peerless has turned up to add to the list of known cars. This one is a 1923 or 1924 Model 66 Seven-Passenger Touring Phaeton that has turned up in Indiana. It has been in a barn, untouched since 1969. Just $2,990 in 1923, unless you count freight, accessories and taxes.

About this same time, a radio station had a contest on the air in which you had to send in 50 cent telegrams in favor of repealing the Volstead Act. After a certain amount of time, thousands of votes came in and the winner got to have what the station called: "The best car on Automobile Row in Chicago". It was one of these.

Jeff, I didn't know you had posted this! Sorry it has taken me now four years to respond to this. I am the lucky owner of the Peerless pulled from the barn in Indiana! I have attached a photo of it in the barn the day I picked it up, however, it is not a seven-passenger, it is what Peerless called the Four-Passenger Touring Phaeton. The research I have done thus far tells me the car came from Chicago. Time to research this radio give-away!

Peerless in the Barn.jpg

Edited by DEMoore1983
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

DEMoore1983: Welcome to the AACA Peerless Forum! Quite a feat of yours lining up 4 Peerless photos in a row with the Cadillac-Lookalike radiator shell. Probably my mistake in thinking yours is a 7-P with the jump seats in back. Probably the nicest restoration of a Twenties Peerless I've ever seen is a green '23 Mod. 66 4-P Phaeton. Owned at the time by Bill Knight of Wisconsin, restored by his father Stanley, it was impeccable. And it was shown at the joint Pierce-Arrow/Peerless Gilmore Gathering in 2013.

If you go on Bing/Google/Yahoo image search under 1923 or 1924 you will find a shot of it.See the source image..............................

See the source image..............................................the other car visible is a 1920 Mod. 56 4-Passenger Roadster that belonged to the late Lloyd & Shirley Young of Ohio.

Posted (edited)

"Time to research this radio give-away!" ---- DEMoore1983, June 6th, 2019

D.E.,

I found the radio promotion.

In Senate testimony re: broadcasting rules. To Amend the Copyright Act....Regarding Exploitation of Inventions By Government Employees Hearing, S 5065

On radio station WJAZ Clarence Darrow gave a broadcast from the Edgewater Beach Hotel about allowing sale of wine & beer in the U.S. Then a drawing was announced right after wherein "the best car on Chicago's Auto Row" would be given away, a 1924 Peerless 7-Passenger Touring Car...if you sent in a telegram with the codeword "Peerless" & your name was selected. First, ad copy from the Peerless Motor Car Co. was read...then listeners were asked to vote yes or no in favor of modification of the Volstead Act.  47,000 telegrams came in with one lucky winner receiving a $3,200 car free.

The Greencastle, IN newspaper reported on the March 10th contest and said cables came in from every state of the union, all Canadian provinces - even Nova Scotia, and ships in both the Atlantic and Pacific. This was the first nationwide radio poll on the prohibition question & responses were almost 3-to-1 for modification.

Also, the contest was covered here on the Peerless Forum back on 10/18/09. Peerless Research Findings pg. 3, #136.

Mr. Moore:  Wow what a find, we all dream about.  Not your everyday car.  Also, 4 p is the way to go, on what I am sure must be a 130" or so wheelbase.