"New" Peerless Discovered!

jeff_a

The  Rose Hansen Auction is the one mentioned above. Glen Ewen is 100 miles north of Minot, ND. See:  mackauctioncompany.com. Other cars there include a 1937 Packard 120 convertible sedan with a "divider window" for the back seat...maybe they mean a rear windshield...& 17 more cars(5 Model "T"s, 3 Model "A"s, a rough 1923 Buick, a 1933 Pontiac Silver Streak, a 1935 Int'l truck, a 1961 Pontiac Laurentian, a 1953 Mercury, a 1930 Erskine cabriolet, a 1911 Overland, a rough 1925 Star, and a sharp 1915 Chevrolet.)

17.jpg

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

If I put one of these in a shipping container, Mal, which would it be? Fill the rest of it with some Coker and Lucas tires and some items from Hershey this fall, and the import/export business could pay for the shipping, unless the gov has to get a cut for outrageously high duties.

Personally, I think someone with a Pierce-Arrow should buy both and have himself a 3-P Collection* rightaway. Handsome-looking Packard.

*only 18 such collections worldwide.

• 3 months later...

A new Peerless appeared for sale in the September Hemmings Motor News, a two-tone green Mod. 6-60 Sedan with disc wheels  in California. I talked to the seller 2 days ago and found it has already sold. I'm waiting for information on where it went and who the new owner is. I think it's been around San Diego about 25 years. These were 1927-28 cars, with a replacement sold until early 1930, the 6-61 & 6-61A.

On 8/31/2017 at 6:21 PM, jeff_a said:

The HMN ad doesn´t show engine compartment photos. If you type in www.barnfinds.com, one finds some. These clearly show a Peerless ¨Collins Six¨ or ¨Superb Six¨ 289 Cu. In. engine, and also lists an auction ending in 20 hours(3:00 PM Friday) with bidding up to about $9,500. Barnfinds.com lists it as a 1925 6-70.

This is the only existing Peerless sedan with the interesting ¨1/8 windows¨ behind the windshield, TTBOMK, and that does conform more accurately to a 1924/1925 Model 6-70 than a 1925 8-67. The Cadillac-like rad shell this Peerless has was only used on the V-8 Peerlesses in 1923 and 1924. They appeared on only one Peerless Six model, the 1924 6-70(and a few early-1925 6-70s). In April, 1925, the 6-70 was replaced by 6-72.

I´m thinking this is actually a 1924 or early-1925 Model 6-70 Sedan/126¨ w.b./$2,995 new, making this one of THREE in existence. The other 6-70 cars are a 1924 5-Passenger Touring Phaeton now in Texas(rough shape when I last saw it 8 years ago) and a 1925 5-Passenger Touring Phaeton in Sidney, MT which came from Saskatchewan, Canada in Sept., 2018.

Peerless-3-630x394.jpg1925 Peerless 6-70 Sedan in Apex, NC

photo: barnfinds.com

post-49853-143142992503_thumb.jpg1924 Peerless Six-70 Touring Phaeton, from Bozeman, MT, now in Richards, TX

photo: Kathleen Brown

Screenshot 2018-09-20 at 9.48.10 AM.png1925 Peerless 6-70 Touring Phaeton from Canada, now in Sidney, MT   photo: Mack Auction Company

The Light Yellow & Brown Sedan is still for sale.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 2/25/2015 at 1:00 PM, jeff_a said:

Another green Peerless has turned up to add to the list of known cars. This one is a 1923 or 1924 Model 66 Seven-Passenger Touring Phaeton that has turned up in Indiana. It has been in a barn, untouched since 1969. Just $2,990 in 1923, unless you count freight, accessories and taxes.

About this same time, a radio station had a contest on the air in which you had to send in 50 cent telegrams in favor of repealing the Volstead Act. After a certain amount of time, thousands of votes came in and the winner got to have what the station called: "The best car on Automobile Row in Chicago". It was one of these.

Jeff, I didn't know you had posted this! Sorry it has taken me now four years to respond to this. I am the lucky owner of the Peerless pulled from the barn in Indiana! I have attached a photo of it in the barn the day I picked it up, however, it is not a seven-passenger, it is what Peerless called the Four-Passenger Touring Phaeton. The research I have done thus far tells me the car came from Chicago. Time to research this radio give-away!

Peerless in the Barn.jpg

Edited by DEMoore1983
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

DEMoore1983: Welcome to the AACA Peerless Forum! Quite a feat of yours lining up 4 Peerless photos in a row with the Cadillac-Lookalike radiator shell. Probably my mistake in thinking yours is a 7-P with the jump seats in back. Probably the nicest restoration of a Twenties Peerless I've ever seen is a green '23 Mod. 66 4-P Phaeton. Owned at the time by Bill Knight of Wisconsin, restored by his father Stanley, it was impeccable. And it was shown at the joint Pierce-Arrow/Peerless Gilmore Gathering in 2013.

If you go on Bing/Google/Yahoo image search under 1923 or 1924 you will find a shot of it.See the source image..............................

See the source image..............................................the other car visible is a 1920 Mod. 56 4-Passenger Roadster that belonged to the late Lloyd & Shirley Young of Ohio.

"Time to research this radio give-away!" ---- DEMoore1983, June 6th, 2019

D.E.,

I found the radio promotion.

In Senate testimony re: broadcasting rules. To Amend the Copyright Act....Regarding Exploitation of Inventions By Government Employees Hearing, S 5065

On radio station WJAZ Clarence Darrow gave a broadcast from the Edgewater Beach Hotel about allowing sale of wine & beer in the U.S. Then a drawing was announced right after wherein "the best car on Chicago's Auto Row" would be given away, a 1924 Peerless 7-Passenger Touring Car...if you sent in a telegram with the codeword "Peerless" & your name was selected. First, ad copy from the Peerless Motor Car Co. was read...then listeners were asked to vote yes or no in favor of modification of the Volstead Act.  47,000 telegrams came in with one lucky winner receiving a $3,200 car free.

The Greencastle, IN newspaper reported on the March 10th contest and said cables came in from every state of the union, all Canadian provinces - even Nova Scotia, and ships in both the Atlantic and Pacific. This was the first nationwide radio poll on the prohibition question & responses were almost 3-to-1 for modification.

Also, the contest was covered here on the Peerless Forum back on 10/18/09. Peerless Research Findings pg. 3, #136.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 1:01 PM, DEMoore1983 said:

Jeff, I didn't know you had posted this! Sorry it has taken me now four years to respond to this. I am the lucky owner of the Peerless pulled from the barn in Indiana! I have attached a photo of it in the barn the day I picked it up, however, it is not a seven-passenger, it is what Peerless called the Four-Passenger Touring Phaeton. The research I have done thus far tells me the car came from Chicago. Time to research this radio give-away!

Peerless in the Barn.jpg

Derek,

I hope things are going well with you at the new museum position. Is there a lot of buzz regarding the mid-engined Corvette? When David Baird and I were running the Peerless Booth at the Hershey meet in 2013, a guy came in out of the rain, sat down next to me, and said he was the engineer who oversaw fuel injection going into the Corvette, and how that was a Big Huge Deal. I'm sure the 2020 model is a big deal, too. I was at my local car dealer yesterday and they just got in the first 2019 Corvette I ever saw. Pretty slick, but it will be an antique before I can afford it.

I found a photo yesterday of a Peerless very close to yours. Someone has a book for sale for $1,500 on ebay with saleman's photos from the Southern Wheel Corp. of Dallas. This looks like a 1923 or 1924 Peerless Model 66, or Type 23, V-8. Definitely from the Cadillac Lookalike Years, reflecting Richard Collins' touch(President Cadillac Motor Car Co. 1917-1921, President Peerless Motor Car Co. 1921-1923). Some of these had painted radiator shells, some were nickeled. The wheels/rad shell/lights all appear nickel-plated here. Looks like another of the Peerless permanent cloth tops, too. 

s-l1600.jpg

Another view of the car from a distance:

s-l1600.jpg......

Here is another Peerless Model 66, a 1923 owned by Frank Hebl in Wisconsin when photographed 12 or more years ago:

1923 Touring: Frank Hebl

• 3 weeks later...

A 1930 Peerless Mod. 6-61A Sedan has been discovered. Marc Mougin from Brittany, France owns it. It was purchased new in Argentina...a brass plaque denotes the Peerless dealer, Modesto de la Fuente. 30 years ago the car was in Italy, then it was brought to France and restored.

peerless.thumb.jpg.b63c0820c275ca17cc536d21bc3266fc.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'll keep it under my hat for now, but I located a 1930 or 1931 Peerless that has been out of circulation for 70 years. Body style and engine? Most likely a straight eight, but I don't know. I'll have to wait til the owner tells me more next year.

These '30, '31 '32 Peerlesses are a dime a dozen like Packard straight 8s....or would be if they were all preserved....with almost 4,000 built. As it is now, I think somewhere between 28 and 32 still exist of the Standard, Master & Custom Eights, all with Count Alexis de Sakhnoffsky-designd bodies. None known with Weymann, De Ley or other coachwork that do.

• 1 year later...
On 10/21/2019 at 8:59 PM, jeff_a said:

A 1930 Peerless Mod. 6-61A Sedan has been discovered. Marc Mougin from Brittany, France owns it. It was purchased new in Argentina...a brass plaque denotes the Peerless dealer, Modesto de la Fuente. 30 years ago the car was in Italy, then it was brought to France and restored.

peerless.thumb.jpg.b63c0820c275ca17cc536d21bc3266fc.jpg

Hi Jeff, 

You may want to share this image with Marc Mougin if you have his contact info,

as it is the Buenos Aires dealership where his Peerless was sold.

TG

1525339133_hem_elautomovilamericano_193005-45PeerlessArgentinaCX.thumb.jpg.20e00a37e0b6072b7880542f43a6ddae.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some comments on the Peerless Fire Truck above:

• no Alexis de Sakhnoffsky sweep to bottom of body tub/door interface or splash aprons
  • 1928-1929 Instrument Panel used on higher-end Peerless models(6-80, 6-81, 6-91, 8-125)
  • 1930-32 dashes had a spread-out arrangement of instruments in semi-square housings, not round
  • same front bumper with 3 shield emblems the Model 8-125 has
  • '31 hood sides would have small louvers in 6 groups of five, or 4 big hinged louvers
  • '30-'32 straight 8s would not have cowl bands or cowl lights(unless they were carryover '29s sold as 1930s), fire truck has them
  • 1930-1932 Model A, B, C straight-eight Peerlesses had small fender lights instead of cowl lights
  • this has graphics denoting it was part of the Rochester, NY Fire Department...could have been a bare chassis ordered by a fire truck conversion shop

All the straight-eight Peerlesses are so rare it would be easy to get the year and model mixed up.

--- Both a 1929 8-125 and a 1931 Peerless would have straight 8s.

--- Examples of either model surviving today are a great rarity.

--- Some literature in the past has mistakenly called the "8-125" of 1929 a "Standard 8"(1930-1932 only).

--- This could be a mix & match car put together from assorted parts ten years ago, or ninety.

• 2 months later...

1915 All-Purpose Peerless The great Peerless expert and owner Richard Lichtfeld thought there weren't any of these surviving, but tracking down someone who was in the 2007 Peerless Owners Roster named Harvey, who was listed as having a 1915 Peerless, no model given, I may have found a picture of one.

DSCN0784.jpg...possibly a Model 54 or 55...not looking like a 6-48. I feel it's an All-Purpose Six, not an All-Purpose Four, or a 6-48 based on hood length and LHD. Photo from a 2019 HCCA Holiday Motor Excursion Tour. Nice lookin' car!

1915 Peerless Models:

• Mod. 54........113" w.b. .....$2,000 and up................220.9 cu. in. L-head 4 engine
  • Mod. 55........121" w.b. .....$2,250 and up ................288.6 cu. in. L-head 6 engine
  • Mod. 6-48....137" w.b. ....$4,900-$6,200................578 cu.in. T-head 6 engine

>>> most of this data is from pages 224-238 of the new book PEERLESS AUTOMOBILES IN THE BRASS ERA: 1900-1915, Alex Cauthen, 2020, which you have if you are a serious Brass automobile collector or historian

>>> sales for 1915 were 3,618

>>> the "All-Purpose" Peerlesses were only built for 1915, replaced completely by the Mod. 56 Peerless V-8 in late 1915

>>> the author points out that this was a departure for Peerless, not having built cars in the $2,000 range since 1903

>>> The Mod. 54 was available in Sedan and Limousine body styles for $3,100

>>> both Mod. 54 and 55 were available in 5-Pass. Touring Car, Roadster, Cabriolet, Sedan and Limousine form, according to Peerless Automobiles

• Like 1

I discovered this photo today. I feel like Leif Erikson.

If it's what I think it is, it's a real car that matters, all 60 taxable horsepower, 6,000 dollars base price, 140 inches of wheelbase, and 825 cubic inches of it. Something you might trade a condominium in Sun Valley for.

Screenshot 2021-12-26 at 8.00.53 PM.png

• Like 3

15 hours ago, jeff_a said:

I discovered this today. I feel like Leif Erikson.

Ha Ha! I actually got that one Jeff! Back in the 1970's I explored the Viking site at L'Anse Aux  Meadows in northern Newfoundland and fittingly the ship we took to Newfoundland was called the Leif Erickson.  I still think they had really good sense of humor - i.e.  naming "Greenland" or at the very least very a good grasp on marketing and branding.

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2009 at 8:40 AM, Richard Lichtfel said:

That was the 1905 Glidden tour from N.Y. city to Hartford, Boston, Portsmouth, Mt. Washington and back to N.Y. The picture of the steam tractor blocking the road was in the Jan. Feb. issue of Antique Automobile 1976. I don't believe there is a Peerless car in that picture. They had the "Climb to the Clouds" on this tour that went up Mount Washington and it was quite treacherous. There was a storm and several tourist were injured by lightening. Peerless was on this tour and finished with a perfect score however Percy Pierce in a Pierce Great Arrow won the 1905 Glidden Tour.

Peerless was refused 1st place on the Glidden tour more than once and on the vaguest of technicalities. In 1908 the judging angered Peerless President Lewis Kittredge so much that it caused him to withdraw Peerless from sponsoring factory race cars afterward.

The Peerless team for the 1908 Glidden race was a matched set of cars, one painted red, one white and one blue. In the picture below, the middle one is white... you can figure out the red and blue ones yourself.

red-white-blue at the Glidden contest.jpg

Edited by alextheantiqueautoguy (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This was the 1932 Deluxe Master Eight with 1,395 miles on the odometer, for sale in the September Hemmings for $9,995. I talked to the dealer on the phone back in August, 2014, who got them from a very large collection in Missouri. Pete's Classic Cars in Dallas was the dealer.* He said the 2 1932 Peerlesses went to a foreign country, but couldn't  remember which one. Haven't  heard a peep since then of either this car, or the Custom Eight.

*Still in business. Has a Hupp Skylark prototype, sale pending, listed.  

• Like 1

Try to find photos of the 1932 Peerlesses alsancle was asking about.

Here, I think, is the pic used in the 2014 Hemmings ad of the Custom Eight, A.J. One of 5 Peerless cars from the collection of Roscoe Stelford from llinois that went to a couple of guys building a big museum in Fulton, Missouri about 1990. The dealer was asking $19,999 for this one....Count Alexis de Sakhnoffsky design, 138" wheelbase, 120 HP straight eight Continental, CCCA Classic.

There are 6, 7, or 8 of these on this planetoid according to my records. Out of 555 Custom 8s built.

110549ba8f9a1160944b3a96f53ece8a.jpg

See the source image

The 1932 Peerless Deluxe Master Eight. 322 Cu. In. straight-8 Continental engine, 115 HP, 130" wheelbase. About 1,200 built.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you or Eddie into cabin cruisers? Eddie would have restored one of these Peerlesses, maybe both, for a new Chris Craft Commander 44. Used to be motor yachts were about $1000 a foot(no more though). This one's built in Italy and goes 40 knots +. I've lusted after these for 4 years, but as they cost 50 or 100 times my annual income, one is not going to be tied up at a marina slip of mine anytime before I'm 100.

.....the main berth is straight out of Star Trek Next Generation.

2018 Chris Craft Commander 44 for sale in Pompano Beach, FL ...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Glasstown Brewing CO.,

I just happened across your post here on the AACA Peerless Forum. Thank you a lot for the new information on this car -- which I had never heard of. An educated guess is it's a Model Six-80, an important Peerless model for the fact that it made Peerless quality available at a price middle class people could afford. Still about triple the cost of a mass-produced Whippet, Chev or Ford, but a lot less than a Lincoln, Franklin, or Stutz. In the Nov., 1925 owner's manual for the 6-80, it stated that the new model was an example of how an automaker could offer a broad range of models & prices without the pretense of different company names for cars from the same company. Between your Sedan and the 8-69 Berline Limousine, you have a price range of $1,500-$3,800. You could also have a Six-72 or an Eight-69. I like the color -- matches a company color? Or a 1920s selection?

I looked up your brewery in Wallaceburg, and it's new. I found an article about how the founder is hoping to have spirits and wine from Ontario as well as his own beers for sale. A lot of Americanskis don't know there are at least 21 wineries in Canada. Wish it were closer and I could visit...would be happy to play a couple of sets of music when you offer it. I'm a solo folk singer who's a fair guitar player. I also keep the Peerless roster, KPAIE. It currently has 370 vehicles listed between 1900-1932. There are 1 or 2 dozen Peerlesses in Canada. Believe it or not, there's another fitted out with brewery livery. It's a 1915 4-ton truck restored 40 years ago with the name of a London brewing firm in gold leaf. It sold at a Bonhams auction in 2014 for a large figure. Some obscure New Zealander* bought it, and it is now in a motoring museum over there.   ----Jeff

00093.jpg

The neighborhood Glasstown Brewing Co. is in....2007 photo. Looks like a great place for canoeing and motorboats.

*Sir Peter Jackson. Have you ever heard of him?

• 7 months later...

New Location, Anyway. I just read that Mike Stormo has a 1923 Model 66 Peerless 7-Passenger Touring Phaeton out in the Pacific Northwest. There are 9 Mod. 66 cars on the Peerless list, KPAIE, and this one has travelled from Maine to Washington recently. It is a dual windshield 332 Cu. In, V-8 car and was on exhibit in the Boothbay Railway Museum for years.

Only aluminum head for a Peerless Straight eight in the galaxy, TTBOMK.

Is that the car you got from the fellow in Rockford, Illinois? DelaRonde? I think he got it from one of the big multi-car Peerless auctions, like the one in Pingree Grove, IL, Roscoe Stelford's. Did you ever hear about the Cord prototype found there?

Yes this is the car. It belonged to Gary he stored it in Chana IL. Then it went to Wisconsin first to Scott then Tom now it is with me in WI. I had been chasing this car for 20 years. My other Peerless custom 8 Chassis came from Stan Knight, which he owned the Red fixed windshield Convertible  that is pictured in here a few times. I even had a chance to drive it once.

• Like 1