Stupid question

JACK M

<span style="color: #3366FF"><span style="font-size: 14pt">How does one remove the inside door handles from a 56 Imperial?

I expect that I will be looking to buy a tool ??

I will have more stupid questions to follow...Thanks</span></span>

There is a spring clip -imagine a horseshoe shaped clip, with enough spring tension to fit into slots. It's tough, but you either need a special tool that "catches" the ends of the tabs and "spreads" them out long enough for you to move the handle outward or use a pick or small screwdriver to accomplish the same end - to spread that horseshoe outward.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3366FF"><span style="font-size: 14pt">Thanks for the replys,

Of coarse the armrest comes into play as it is close. I dont see an open side of the clip, I was wondering if it may be a keyhole affair. does anybody have the correct tool for sale?</span></span></span></span>

GM cars use horseshoe clip thats pretty easy to release and everyone sells a cheap tool for. Chrysler uses a different type "clip" with a small ear that takes a specialized removal tool. The commercial tool is a pliers looking affair that works well. I made a tool that works but is a bit more hassle than the commercial tool. I've looked but haven't been able to find a source for the pliers type. I'd buy one in a second if I could find one.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3366FF"><span style="font-size: 14pt">That figures.

If I find a source for that tool I will let you know.

Getting the handle off is just the begining as I am going to tackle the window mechanism.</span></span></span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #3366FF"><span style="font-size: 14pt">To anyone that cares,

The clip turned out to be different than any I have seen. Not horseshoe shaped, or keyhole shaped either. But a complete enclosed square holed tab that bends 90 degrees (actually 90 then 180 back up to make it double) (the shaft is square too). The 90 degree tab parallels the shaft in a slot within the handle, this makes the square opening on the clip kind of spring loaded so that when the square opening of the clip reaches a groove on the shaft it will lock into it. I was fiddling around with it with some long skinny screwdrivers and the clip lifted out of the groove and I could slide the handle off. The clip stays with the handle.

I figured it out by accident after exhausting all leads.

Fixing the power window was the easy part.

Thanks to all those who replied with their ideas. </span></span></span>

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #CC0000"> <span style="font-size: 14pt"></span>On to the next problem, The heater doesnt seem to get warm and I cant figure out where the valve is.</span></span></span>

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF"><span style="font-size: 14pt"> I have on order a reprint service manual for this car. I wont feel like a blind man whiping a lame horse.

She seems to be healing slowly.

Fortunatly, no A/C. I will be disassembling the heater next.</span></span></span></span>