Question about front oil seal for '36 320 engine

JoelsBuicks

I'm in the process of reassembling the 320 for my '36 Roadmaster. The original front oil seal, located in the timing chain cover, was made of cork. My gasket set did not include a cork seal but did include two standard type (modern) oil seals that I see no way of working although their IDs are correct. It also included a rope seal that was neither long enough nor large enough to fill the original seal cavity. Bob's sell a front main seal replacement for a 37-52 big series but mine is a '36. I'm looking for advice on what to do with this? Do you think what Bob's has will work for a '36?

Thanks,

When I do buy gaskets, I order via Olsen's Gaskets here in Washington State. They have always made good on their products.

http://www.olsonsgaskets.com/

However, because many gaskets are not available for my older cars, I am in the habit of making many of my own cork gaskets for low pressure applications like timing covers. All it takes is a sharp razor knife and patience. Rope seals also work fine if you just take care to carefully cut the ends and seal them with RTV sealant.

When I rebuilt my '41 Century's motor, I used a front cover from a later 320 that was designed to use modern neoprene seals. They are hard to find, but I liked the peace of mind that came with not having to deal with a cork or rope seal (on the front end at least--the rear seal is still a rope seal).

Hope this helps.

I've got a couple later model 320 engines that I'll look at. I'm not really wanting to start robbing them yet. I talked with Bob's and they supply an 8" long 5/16" braided rope with their gasket sets. They are sending me a one foot long piece and I will "bunch it up" and see if it fills that cavity but this stuff doesn't bunch up very much. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you,

Joel