Looking for Help with Lycoming Engine

We rebuilt a DXU as part of our restoration of a 1917 Bell built in York, PA. Pretty basic engine. Bearings are babbitt of course. Pistons should be available from Egge. As I remember this 4 cylinder has no center main bearing. Nothing too technically difficult about rebuilding it. Likely uses a Borg and Beck clutch. I remember something unusual about the starter and generator but can't recollect what it was at the moment, maybe just an uncommon make. The distributor uses an odd set of points which were a problem to source. I would check an early Dykes manual for additional info.

Lycoming engines, I follow airplane racing and a newer lycoming engine just powered his plane to 392 mph, which is faster then any piston powered plane and most cars.

Silly question, have you tried Lycoming to see if they can help you ?

• 11 years later...
On 11/29/2008 at 3:22 PM, stevep516 said:

The engine is actually a Model "DXU" serial no. S44664 that was originally in a 1917 Piedmont. I've got a Parts Price List for a Model "DU" dated 9/25/18 but nothing else.

Thanks for the response. Steve P

Steve, For what it's worth the MoToR's Specification Tables covering American autos from 19' to '24  does not list the Piedmont until 1919, in which year there is shown a model N-30 and an S-40. The former had a Lycoming engine with 4 cylinders, 31/2 x 5.  There also was an S-40 Piedmont which used a 6 cylinder Continental engine.   The 4 cylinder is indeed shown to have just 2 main bearings,  a Carter carb, Delco ign., Dyneto starting-lighting and voltage, B&B clutch, G Lees-3 (speed) transmission,  and Peru rear axle with 4.45 ratio.  Piedmont wasn't shown in the '20 charts but returned just in '21.
Other makes using a Lycoming engine with the same specs as stated were Dort, Elcar, Dixie flyer, Commonwealth, Gardner, Champion Tourist, Crow-Elkhart, Lone Star, Norwalk, Skelton, Texan,  and Seneca.  No specific engine model designation was given for any of the makes.
I believe the Piedmont was manufactured in Virginia, and that there may be no known survivors..  

Piedmont used a Carter type L-0 (the 0 is a zero, not a oh) from 1917 through the end of production of the four cylinder, with one exception.

For part of 1919, they used a Carter type F-0.

I have found no explanation of why, or why they switched back to the L-0.

Jon.

Dave,

Thanks for the info........since, I made the original post in '08 ,I've done extensive research on the Piedmont Motor Car Co. located here in Lynchburg. They were like so many car manufacturers at the turn of the century. They were enthusiastic, energetic and most of all............underfunded. The company was chartered in March 1916 by the Va SCC and amazingly, the first car was rolled off in March a year later.

I'll be glad to send a copy of a presentation that gave to the historical society a while back.

As far as remaining cars, I know of three. One in Lynchburg, the second in Roanoke Transportation Museum and the third I lost track of as it was sold at  the RM auction in  2019.

Regards,

bush 0002_r1.jpg

• Like 1