1939 grille question

Pete Phillips

I'm working on a feature article for the 1939 Buicks for the February issue of the Bugle magazine. I know that there was a mid-year change to the grilles to allow for better cooling of the radiator. It has to do with the number of grille "teeth" and I've seen those numbers written somewhere but cannot find. Does anyone know the number of grille teeth on the early '39 grilles, versus the later '39 grilles? The early ones had a higher number, but that's all I know.

Pete Phillips, Bugle Editor

BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

Pete: I believe the numbers were 46 and 41. May have to run to the garage to count the ones I have. Parts Book shows the break points were as follows: New ones were used after #1-3523031 Flint; 2-3492496 California; 3-3503770 Linden. It's interesting to see what some of the aftermarket ones look like when you see them on Ebay or a swap meet.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Pete:

Dave (Glassesguy) is correct about the breakpoints. The old style had 41 bars, new style was 35. That adds about 10% to airflow.

I've seen a 39 that was mismatched. You know somethings wrong right away, but figuring it out causes some headscratching !!

Regards, Dave Corbin

Hi Pete.

The February Bugle will be something to really look forward to.

I've had a count of the verticals on our full chassis '39 Buick - it is 36. The grill also varies from the earlier one in that it has 3 horizontal bars - the middle one is finer than the other two. My recollection is that the early grills only had one horizontal.

Another small difference is the windscreen wiper mounts varied between the two car types, which I found to my cost about 20 years ago when I ordered the rubber bases and was supplied with the little round ones. This was when I learned about the difference.

As an aside and further background to your story. We were in Flint in 2003 and naturally paid attention to the 39's there. Wayne Murray of Grand Blanc MI had a particularly nice car there and he cheerfully allowed me to look closely at his car. It was then that I learned that the Fisher bodied 1939 Buick Specials that were assembled in New Zealand borrowed a few features from the Century to make them a little more upmarket. These included heavier rear shocks, the rear window blind, bright work around the windows and the centre arm rest with the rear seat.

Guest Mark2002

I have a 39 grill in a box in the basement, and never realized there were any differences. If it has 46 bars it is an early grill, and 41 bars would be the later?

Guest Teamsterdug

Terry,

I have contacted Wayne Murray about this topic. Here is what he had to say about the subject: "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The discussion they are having on the grille is interesting but they are missing the reason for the design change to fewer but heavier teeth in the grille. It wasn't for air flow increase. It was because the fine tooth design actually vibrated as the car was traveling down the road and was annoying. There is a dealer bulletin concerning the vibration. To cure the vibration the dealer strung a piece of piano wire through a piece of small diameter rubber tubing and then attached it diagonally along the backside of each grille half to dampen and silence the nuisance vibration. The new design was as one of them said, heavier and also added cross castings to eliminate the vibration all together. As to the air flow I doubt there was any reduction in air flow in the new design, fewer heavier teeth probably kept the open area the same."</span></span> By the way, he says he remembers your visit during the 2003 Nationals well. That was his awesome all original '39 Buick Special named Gert that you were checking out.

Pete: To my mind the '39 grill was one of the most beautiful waterfalls of chromium compound curves ever to grace the front of an automobile. An interesting history of it's design can be found in A Century Of Automotive Style by Holls and Lamm. Designed by Buick designer Paul Browne,it was inspired by his appreciation of the '37 Mercedes Benze "Silver Arrow" Grand Prix cars;in fact some '39 Buick literature even illustrates these race cars without mentioning their manufacturer. The Buick Parts and Service Bulletin no. 2.90 discribes the dealer fix for "whistling Buick" which Teamsterdug describes .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teamsterdug</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">The discussion they are having on the grille is interesting but they are missing the reason for the design change to fewer but heavier teeth in the grille. It wasn't for air flow increase. It was because the fine tooth design actually vibrated as the car was traveling down the road and was annoying. There is a dealer bulletin concerning the vibration. To cure the vibration the dealer strung a piece of piano wire through a piece of small diameter rubber tubing and then attached it diagonally along the backside of each grille half to dampen and silence the nuisance vibration. The new design was as one of them said, heavier and also added cross castings to eliminate the vibration all together. As to the air flow I doubt there was any reduction in air flow in the new design, fewer heavier teeth probably kept the open area the same."</span>. </div></div>I have a 39 grille on one on my 39's (In New Zealand) with the piano wire and rubber tube. Until I read the service bulletin did not know it was a or "dealer" fix.

Like Terry I had many a close look at Wayne's car at Flint 2003

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Terry and All:

For addiional reference, this service bulletin is also in the 1939 Buick Parts and Service Book on page 17. Title is: "Radiator Grille Vibration, All Series."

Regards, Dave Corbin

I had a 1939 Buick Special which I sold about two years ago. Along with the car when I bought it years ago came some extra parts which I recently dug out of storage to sell on ebay. I have these two grilles that obviously are not like the originals or the ones that were in my 39 Buick but appear to be for a 39 Buick. These have very few bars that are also spaced much further apart then normal and no cross braces from behind. I heard some mention of aftermarket grilles, could these be them? Can anyone tell me anything about these before I go listing them on ebay?

post-59484-14313802361_thumb.jpg

Yes. Look like aftermarket. Have seen several variations on ebay.

They may sell to a hot rodder. Look better than some others that have been on ebay.

What other parts have you got?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest raloh
I have a 39 grill in a box in the basement, and never realized there were any differences. If it has 46 bars it is an early grill, and 41 bars would be the later?

Hello. I was wondering if you still had the 39grill in your basement and which one do you have? (Bars? )Would you be willing to sell it? Just let me know , thank you. Skulljambroadcasting@gmail.com

Guest raloh
I had a 1939 Buick Special which I sold about two years ago. Along with the car when I bought it years ago came some extra parts which I recently dug out of storage to sell on ebay. I have these two grilles that obviously are not like the originals or the ones that were in my 39 Buick but appear to be for a 39 Buick. These have very few bars that are also spaced much further apart then normal and no cross braces from behind. I heard some mention of aftermarket grilles, could these be them? Can anyone tell me anything about these before I go listing them on ebay?

Do you still have the grills????? (Fingers crossed) thankyou, skulljambroadcasting@gmail.com