Sign in to follow this  
Guest BJM

Hemmings Motor News

My two cents worth;

I received my first Hemmings from a region member, was fascinated by all that was in there. I never bought my first issue until I needed a dash for my '35 Ford. I had it mailed to me from out west somewhere. I haven't bought one since, haven't needed to.

A funny side note. Some year ago, after finding my old eyes needed help, I got my first set of perscription glasses. I still couldn't see very well, so a year later I went back to another optometrist, with my used Hemmings Magazine in my hand.

I showed the magazine to the nurse and told her I wanted to be able to read "this" Hemmings Ad with my new glasses. She told me...."I can't read those ads, and I have perfect vision!" grin.gif

Oh well, I do have better glasses now, so I guess I owe something to Hemmings! wink.gif

Wayne

My dad still refuses to accept the computer, so he still subscribes and religiously reads Hemmings. I can't begin to tell you when the last time he ever bought anything out of Hemmings, but he still gets them, and they're always multi-year subscriptions.

I first saw a Hemmings when my car-collector grandfather sent me one about 1969. It was just a small-format thing about the size of <span style="text-decoration: underline">Reader's Digest</span> back then. The only car I remember from it, for some reason, was a post-war Type 101 Bugatti.

I've never subscribed, but always enjoy reading it. I buy 3 or 4 copies a year at news-stands. Aside from a certain amount of knowledge I get out of it in an automotive history way...I have to admit it's more of a wish book for me. I'm about as likely to buy a major-league baseball team as I am most of the cars for sale there. I've never bought a car from HMN. Not yet, anyway! I would love it if you had a choice of Postwar and Prewar HMN's.

Way down here I had never given it much thought although I have a few issues I got in the states.

Then last week they put my car in there.

I've had a subscription to HMN since 1975. I'm not in the market to buy a vehicle, but I probably would if I saw something that I was interested in. I basically read it for the entertainment, as I would any other magazine. I enjoy reading the ads and looking at the photos. There is a lot of reading to do in one issue.

Guest BJM

Larry,

I agree (entertaiment). We can't own every car. And although there seems to be a lot of cars in our towns, that show up occasionally at shows and such, Hemmings confirmed that a car actually existed - because there it was for sale!

I used to get, for instance, Collectible Automobile - which might feature an article on Chryslers from 1951 to 1954. I would read the article and get interested to see if some of those cars were out there, because frankly I don't see ANY 51-54 Chryslers typically - and there in Hemmings (of several years ago, not sure now) would be maybe 15 cars of this vintage.

I used to skim it on Friday night after purchase and literally turn the pages slowly with high lighter in hand on Saturday morning. Then two weeks later I would find cars either in the Cars for sale or Parts sections that I totally missed!

I did not renew. It is an excellent source for cars, parts and related tems. However it is not a hotbed of Volvo activity. However I now subscribe to two of thier magazines, Classic Car and Sports & Exotic. Hemmings produces the best car magazines in the business. They are very well written. They feature cars not normally featured elsewhere. If you haven't taken a look, do so.

Hemmings Classic Car has been a breath of fresh air, as far as I'm concerned. They've been very generous about providing space for the independent makes. The stories are terrific. It's become one of my favorite car magazines.

Rog

Guest BJM

There is a lot of value in HCC and Hemmings Muscle, although eventually they are going to cover all things muscle while HCC can go a lot longer.

Collectible Automobile is nice, but it's expensive. HCC gets into areas that CA does not.