Car Covers & PAC

Steve_Mack_CT

I remember way back when, you could go to an Army/Navy surplus store and buy parachutes for next to nothing. Make a great indoor cover. They are light, won't scratch, easy to take off and on, take little room to store.

Have no idea of availability these days.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Last year I bought a very nice indoor cover from Auto Chic in Dover, New Jersey. I wanted a custom-fit for my 1934 Packard with sidemounts and rear trunk rack and they already had the patterns (wow!); the material, workmanship and fit was excellent. I forget the exact price but it was modest enough, perhaps $125 or so.

As to clubs, I've belonged to PAC for 45 years and have found it extremely worthwhile. The publications are absolutely top notch and their national events extremely well-organized. You might want to consider their Henry Joy IV tour next year in Saratoga Springs, NY. But I believe you can multiply your enjoyment and interaction if you also join a local region. Both national clubs of course have things to offer, if you live in an area where PAC does not have an active local region, then PI might be a better choice, or perhaps both. For a small local, unaffiliated club, there's of course Eastern Packard Club right up there in your homestate.

I personally belong to PI because of their local events and their strong presence here in So. Calif, but I do not belong to the local chapter at this time, and probably wont until my car is driveable.

Also in addition to the clubs for their publication and in-person events and tours. The PackardInfo.com website has really become the online Packard "Un-Club" (unformal club). There is a wealth of free online Packard content (Service Manuals, Brochures, Parts List, etc). Plus there is daily interaction with Packard owners all over the world.

This is a great addition or alternative for folks that dont have a local chapter near them, or like me, their car is still in pieces! All are welcome, and it's all free.

Thanks guys. Will check into Auto-chic & did not know about the tour right in NY so I will definately check that out. I have heard of the parachute idea before - sounds ideal but finding an army-navy store today where you can actually get army navy surplus may be tough!

Also did not know Eastern Packards was not a PAC region. Will check them out also, as I know they are southern CT based.

Kev, your site is fantastic - I joined but have not really posted anything yet. I see that is where a lot of Packard guys have been hanging out.

• 3 weeks later...

Owen Dyneto, did you opt for the cotton only or flannel lined cover? Going to order mine this week, and thinking of the flannel just for that extra protection, even though they are a bit bulkier. Auto Chic quoted me the same price for either, and sent samples also. Thanks again for the tip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kev, your site is fantastic - I joined but have not really posted anything yet. I see that is where a lot of Packard guys have been hanging out. </div></div>

Thanks, I really appreciate that!