You gotta love it.

Guest windjamer

Guest windjamer

A few years back I had a vary young 80+ year old cust. Al was an excelent carpenter and evan at his age was still called on by many to perform carpentry work. He had lost his wife and lived alone in a modest well kept house. He had one daughter. Al drove a mid 70s dodge wagon and used it daly in his carpentry work. Carried all his tools and saws. He called me one day and ask me to pick the car up and check the batt. as the car would not start. I was in the prosess of starting the car when his daughter stoped and informed him he had no right to spend money on that old car it was after all her inheritance. Al agreed and after I got the car running he took it to the nearest Caddy dealer and swaped it in on a new Caddy conv, paid cash for the car and loaded his tools. Now she dont have to worry about me spending her inheritance on that old car is what he told me.

My son told me to spend my money freely and to enjoy my life. He said I had earned it.

His suggestion made me wonder what he was up to. Is this some form of a guilt trip? Is he being nice to me in an attempt to stay on my good side? I don't have the answers to those questions so while I'm thinking about it I believe I'll go spend my money on myself. grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reatta Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"We're spending our children's inheritance." </div></div>

Or one of the parents hauls off and sells a beautifully restored early '50's MG that was promised from day one to their only child, their daughter.

That happened in our club. Amie was a "late in life" child and her mother suffered a stroke shortly after Amie was born which affected her right side for the rest of her life. Amie was cared for by her father who had been in the Navy. She was his pride and joy. And he had promised her that red MG since anyone who knew them could remember. She never moved out of her parents home, she lives there still.

Sadly Eddie died and had not put his promise of the car on paper. His wife called me to find out how to find out what the car was worth so that she could sell it. I was so stunned I blurted out, "But Eddie always promised that car to Amie". Her reply, "Well, he never put it in writing and I might need the money to live." She sold the car. frown.gif I am sure that Eddie was frowning when she did that. The mom died several years ago.

Matt your way wrong,my uncle,who was quite wealthy ,had a stroke ,with 2 stores,it took it out on us,he lived for several years later,I know a comment like that is wrong,but sometimes a small nest egg will help with the care.By the first month,with the cost of the stores,he was broke.We paid his cost for the rest of his life,witch was worth it ,because he still had care and was with us.It does not matter what they leave,it,s the memorys,just cherish the time you have.

Guest aussie610

Saw printed on the rear spare wheel cover of a Model A. "Driving the kids inheritance"...

I have told dad, spend all ya got, I don't want to argue with my sisters, but remember the cars mine..... smile.gif

(Yes its in writing)

Guest rickomo1

I too said i wanted to be buried in my car a 1942 lincoln zephyr 3 pass coupe but my wife countered with sure i could have it made into a 2 ton block of metal at the junk yard so ihave switched to telling the kids they better get a good education cuz they need to send me where i want when i retire or i am just going to live with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rickomo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...so ihave switched to telling the kids they better get a good education cuz they need to send me where i want when i retire or i am just going to live with them. </div></div>

Be nice to your kids. They pick your nursing home. smirk.gifgrin.gif

I'm thinking about leaving a note for my kids to read after I die. It'll say something about me having buried tens of thousands of dollars in several large pickle jars on my property but neglect to say where. That ought to keep them busy for awhile and assure that they don't sell the home place. grin.gif

• 3 weeks later...