101 Cars TV Show

jaxops

I don't know if any of you have been catching this show with Alonzo Bodden but it is really interesting. I tape them since they come on at odd hours (1AM here) and the recent show was about the T-Birds, Superbirds, Aero-Car, and the Chrysler Turbine Car. I wasn't aware that there were only 9 Turbine cars left, all owned by the Chrysler Museum, and Mr. Bodden got to drive it.

It is mostly California based but once in a while they venture out. He doesn't get to drive all of them though. Some owners won't let him drive their valuable cars, but most do, and ride along.

Enjoy it on Speed TV: 101 Cars You Must Drive

When I was a kid, I would get up early every morning just to hear my neighbor start his car. It was the Chrysler Turbine car that he was testing. He was a Chrysler engineer from Highland Park and he was one of the test families who drove the Turbine car for a while. Now all I have left of that time is a book that was in the glove box of the car, a film showing most of them being crushed at a downtown Detroit wrecking yard (VERY DISTURBING TO A CAR LOVER) and of course the memories of the turbine whining sound. Oh yeah...the snow melted immediately behind the car. And yes....there is one owned by a private owner. Out of the 60 made, ten were spared the crusher/burner.

Guest Dr. Strangelove

Another good show (I think) is 'Chasing Classic Cars' which is on HDTH (channel 76 on DirecTV). No commercials, no hideous strobe camera techniques and no painful heavy metal guitar licks. Pretty intersting cars/locations along with agony and ecstacy that goes with buying/restoring (or not)/selling those classic cars. I'm DVR'ing the series. Equal to the fun I'm having watching the 'My Three Son's' episodes finally released on DVD where you can see 'Bub', 'Tramp'-the dog, the 3 boys along with a steady, solid & reassuring Fred MacMurray all brought to you by the 1961 Chevrolet lineup (first season anyway).