straight 8 oil pump

Guest rusty1951

Guest rusty1951

Is there a gasket between the oil housing and the cover plate? Mine was missing one and the rebuild kit came with a gasket/ Would removing the gasket increase oil pressure?

NO NO NO! It will lower your oil pressure drastically! They didn't come with a gasket and the gasket will take it out of spec...You will be wondering why you are getting only 5-7psi hot idle if you put in the gasket. It took me a lot of thinking and work to figure out, so learn my lesson!!!! DO NOT USE A GASKET!!!!!!!!!!

Guest rusty1951

Thanks. I wonder why the kit came with a gasket that fits perfectly. Who knows? Why is there a very small hole (1/16) or so in the pipe between the screen and the oil pump housing?

By the way...ckeck the clearance between the pump housing and the gears with a straightedge and some feeler gauges to make sure the clearance is in spec. Maybe they include the gasket in case you need to machine the housing square...

I determined the gasket to be somewhere between .002 and .003 inches thick...I believe outside range of clearance is .004, so it doesn't take much to see how the gasket could pull the pump out of specs...I used a bit of loctite on the screws to hold the plate on and bolted the pump up...

Guest rusty1951

I installed new gears for the pump and a NOS cover. I tighten it all up and was unable to turn the shaft (the one that connects to the distribitor) without using a large screwdriver and a hell of lot of force. I then installed the gasket that came with the rebuild kit. It turned easy. There is just barely play in the shaft (up/down). Any ideas for here.

Guest simplyconnected

The gears should rotate easily with NO slop. The pump needs good metal-to-metal fit for the oil to act as a seal, and lubricate the parts. It's hard enough to turn a free pump (picking up oil) with a drill motor.

I have never seen a gasket used between the rotors and the plate. (The gasket wouldn't last too long.) This is the area that sees the most oil pressure of the whole system. All parts are precision-ground and bolted securely.

There is a gasket that comes in these rebuild kits, and the only place for it to fit is between the plate and the gears. It's very thin, but thick enough to make an oil pressure difference. Like Joel said, I might try the old cover with the new gears...definitely check the clearance between the gears and the pump body with a straightedge and a feeler gauge...we're talking thousandths of an inch here, so feeling movement in the shaft isn't accurate enough...even a loose pump will feel tight when checked in that manner...with that being said, the pump should still turn freely by hand when it's sitting in your hand.

Guest simplyconnected

What's the confusion? Your main bearings have between a half to one and a half thousandths (.0005-.0015") per inch of crank journal clearance. Certainly, two ground and hardened oil pump surfaces could easily be in that tolerance without gaskets. Why would anyone need a gasket if the oil drips right back in the pan?

Guest rusty1951

I took the pump to the machine shop and the new gears stick out .0015 and the gasket is .007.

I took a feeler gauge and between the gears (new and old) was .0015 and .002 was a distint no go.

I installed the old plate which has a faint wear pattern and used new gears. I can spin with my hand but is slightly tight but not excessive, is more than just a drag.

I think that maybe the way to go is new gears and old plate. Sound reasonable????

Guest simplyconnected

Does your machine shop have a surface grinder? They usually do. You can grind the new gears (or old plate) to give .0015" clearance when assembled sith no gasket. That would satisfy everything at once. They shouldn't charge you much to take a thousanth off, and it should only take five minutes to do. A surface grinder is the most precision machine there is.

Just a thought.The manufacturer should have a spec or dimension for the gears end play,for example,on my 350 Buick the end play spec is .002"-.004".When I replaced my gears I stacked two Felpro gaskets to end up with a total of .003" end play.There are also different thicknes shim material that is offered for the 350 and 455 Buick engine,I don't know if there are some out there for the straight eights.I know that the 350 and the S8 are very different animals but the end cap on the oil pump is something that you want to set as per the manufacture's specs for it to work correctly.More than just clearance between the gears and the plate,you want a specific range to shoot for.You may want to post a question at inliners.org I've seen some Buick chatter there in the past.Good luck.

Guest rusty1951

I want to thank everyone for their help. This is what I am going to do. I installed the old plate with new gears and no gasket. It was tight (sort of) for about 180 degrees of turning. I then placed oil in the pump (tablespoon or so) and then tried. It turns nice and free and does not seem to bind. Much better that before. I can feel no up/down movement with the shaft unlike with the gasket installed. There was a play that could be felt. Once running I will update on my oil pressure. thanks

Guest simplyconnected

You're doing the right thing by changing gears, Rusty1951.

You should see good oil pressure at idle speed, for a very long time. Most restorers take the oil pump for granted, unless a problem appears. This is the heart; all oil gets squeezed through your pump before it gets to the filter. The pickup screen isn't very fine and it passes anything that will fit through. My gears had witness marks of nasty steel pieces that were gobbled-up and spit out. I had no idea until I pulled the gears out and looked.

• 3 weeks later...