Young guys?

BBoz

Yes young is a relative issue. This is an old persons hobby asically, with old being 35 years and (much) older. 1st, it's expensive. 2. It takes a while to assimilate into this culture. (I started out with hot rods and customer vans in the mid 70's and 3. it's hard to go to get togethers where you are easily the youngest person there and chat with old farts.

Guest 1928Packard526

Yes age is relative. I am a certified old fart, (76), and I see a lot more old folks at our local club meetings than any of the "young". That does not bode well for the future of our hobby.

The even sadder part is that I see the hobby moving away from the amateur restorer who did most of the work himself and enjoyed doing it. Now many restorations are done by professionals and the only owner involvement is with his open check book.

Part of the reason is of course the increasing complexity of our cars as the major part of the hobby moves into more and more post-war vehicles, but there is also the seeming reluctance by the young to enter into the adventure of doing this sort of work yourself. It's dirty, and sometimes physically hard work, but also an adventure that pays off in more than dollars.

The reward of having done the restoration work well yourself is priceless, and exceeds any that can come from having others do it for you, at any cost

Pete P.

You are only as old as you want to be. After all, we all still play with cars.... I still think of myself as one of the younger guys...

I will be 57 in February and have nothing but prewar cars. I enjoy doing my own work on them because I don't need high tech analyzers or special tools to work on my cars.

I also spend lots of time working on cars for my older friends in this hobby and have learned lots of tricks and always enjoy hearing the tales about cars from older car guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mika Jaakkola</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still 29 grin.gif !! </div></div>

I told the cashier at the local grocery store I was 21 but she didn't believe me. frown.gif

Younger meaning mid to early 30's. I'm 36 and get called the old guy by friends that are mid 20's. I took my 31 Model A pick-up to Hershey. Was in class 22b. Only joined AACA to go to Hershey and see if this was for me. Didn't have an interest in the swap meet, I stayed near my truck so I could interact with other people and see how people in the antique hobby are like. I got to tell you, I had a blast! Nice people is all I have to say! I will be back every year. Also, my truck won a 3rd Junior, very unexpected, was not there for an award. Just iceing on the cake!

I love model A Ford's. Simple and easily fixed and maintained. I can't tell you how many people ask me if that A is really mine. I get the biggest kick out of that! A couple of people had said to me that I am an odd ball at my age with model A's. I get my stones broke bad by my friends because I will not hot rod them. There is way more to the story of how I came to own 2 A's. These are by far the most fun I have ever had! ....Boz

My alias in the Street rod and drag race fraternity is "the old Guy", and I guess it fits as I am 75. I have the same problem that many of you have in seeing our hobby turning into a contest to see who has the largest check book.

I have been involved with cars for 60 years and have seen the changes that come with "fun" organizations taken over by wealthy people. Many do great things, but there are some that have no idea of the enjoyment and sense of accomplishment that comes from building a car and then driving the wheels off it. I have driven my Buicks anywhere I want to go , and they have always brought me home.

Wow, Jfranklin, your story and time line identical to mine. Bought my 1931 Chevrolet tudor in 1964, November of that year to be exact. Restored it and drove it to high school. I am 58 years old. Still have Chevy, getting ready to "re-restore" it. dc

BBoz,

I am 48 years old. I bought my first Model A Ford when I was 35 years old. I am on my 4th Model A. My now 10 year old daughter has made it clear that this Model A will be her's when I am dead and gone. There are more people who collect the cars of their youth, but you are not alone. There are some others who collect cars from before they were born. Maybe we were just born too late.

What's young? For me, all or most of the reply's to this post are "young". Let me explain.

In 1972 I bought a 1934 Ford. My hope was to find a good Model A to restore. I figured that I was born in 1945 and an "old car was something older than I was" So the search

had to be for a Pre WWII car. At the time I was 27 years

old and anything Pre WII was old! I joined a local club

and was (and still am) about the youngest guy.

Now at 63 I still fell like a 27 year old with something wrong

and cherish the knowledge and freindship of the older members.

(Although I've noticed I help others more now than I get helped) But, I still need help!

We're always trying to recruit new younger members and the posts on this thread indicates that it is working.

Still I love the 83 year old's who still remember how it was done and can often help me figure our stuff and then share that information later with younger members.

The system is working!

Okay...I have had my 1931 Dodge since I was 13 years old. I am now 56. It was my first car and I put it together after my dad took it apart. I drove it to high school. I still have it and it has a brother now.

My 4 year old son has told me that the truck is his! Doesn't get any better than that. Back in 1982 I was 10. In my neighborhood there was a man by the name of Jack Natale. He had restored a 30 model a coupe in his garage behind his old farm house. He had three kids, 2 girls and 1 boy. I was friends with his son John who is 3 years older than me. His father was like a second dad to me. I spent more time with him than his son. My love for A's came from him. He would pick me up and put me in that rumble seat, me and his son. Up front would be John's dad and mom. The memories of that car and that family have never left. I still carry a skeleton key on my key ring that locked doors inside there house which would drive Mrs. Natale crazy. Jack Natale died in 1987 at 55 years old, that was a lose of a family member to me. That car sat in that garage for about 13 years untill his oldest daughter took it home with her.

Fast foward to summer 2008. I have been looking for an A to hot rod for a few months and have missed out on 5 cars, some by just a day! One of my friends tells me about a guy with info on a model A coupe and truck. Took his phone number and almost did not call because of all previous disappointments. Make the call and come to find out both the car & truck are very nice originals, perfect for cutting! I inquired more about the coupe. He tells me the owner, Sharron, hates the thought of selling the car for fear of being cut up. Emotionally attached. Was her dads car. Started to ask how he knows her, whats here last name, tell him the story of my youth and that A. He tells me he'll give her my number. Here is were time slows and I think too much.

Next day, Thurs. about 9:20 a.m. my phone rings, guess who..Sharron Natale! My heart stopped, hair stud up, chills..you get the picture. Sharron is 9 years older than me and was in college when I was around, but knows of me being around the house from her mom and dad. Went to see the car, she had John there whom I'd not seen for 18 years, drove that car around with John except this time we were in the front seat. Got pictures of that day! She told me she could not think of a better person to have that car and neither could I! She made me a photo album from pictures that go back to the 60's of that car. Mr. Natale had that car seems forever. Still waiting for Mr. Natale to yell at me to get out of his car! Still can't believe I own that mans car!

Sharron had the car repainted in 2003 and replaced the tires with fresh white walls. Interior is how it was when I was a kid, in great condition. Interior is incorrect, but I'll nver change it. His name is stamped on the back of the kick panels. I'll never part with this car, my kid will get it when I'm dead! You cannot get the grin off my face when I drive it esp. with my son.

Parked next to the coupe was a 31 A pickup. I took that home too. Both vehicles are green and black. Can't seperate them, like salt & pepper!

That is how I got 2 A's. That is as brief as I could make it! Sorry for the long post guys! Thanks...Brian Bozarth

I have always been into the pre-war stuff. Age 45 now and recently acquired a '39 Packard. Others I have had - '30 Ford Model A; '39 Chevy Sedan; '41 Plymouth two door (first car at age 14). While none of these are Classics, the Classic era (1925-1948) is where my main interest lies. Have also had some 60s cars and a 1956 Chevy but always go back to the pre-war stuff. I think it goes back to what the local AACA guys had when I was growing up around this stuff. If it has running boards, I generally love it!

I stared in the hobby in 1961, I was 10 years old. Earliest auto memory is driving out of the Buick dealership in Dad's new 1953. I've always been the kid in the group. This also explains why any car built in my lifetime is a used car to me, all my time and spare money went into Pre WWII cars. Hot Rods and race cars are the only exceptions.

I started watching my uncle and his friends work on their hot rods and Model T's as a little kid. When I was in 8h grade we moved next to a guy who liked to work on cars. I would hang around clean parts etc. Soon I was learning about engines etc on the American cars. Bought a Austin Healey and that got me hooked on Sports cars. Now have Buick's.

Today I was outside working on my Riviera and the neighbors 13 year old boy came over to watch. I explained what I was doing and gave him car magazines to go home with. Also told him to come over any time he sees me out. Figure I will hook one too.

Well, I am 20 and I have the cars listed below, and if you include 41 as prewar than I have 2. I think that the cars from the 40's and before are the best! They are the most serviceable and well built. Most people my age buy the muscle cars, etc. But I am not a big fan of the 50's, 60's or the 70's unless they are luxury cars, I know I am weird! I have owned the 1921 since I was 16, after my grandpa passed away. It was technically the first car I ever owned, though I already had the Mustang (but it was not in my name) my grandma gave it to me, because she knew that I would take good care of it, and my grandpa and I spent years working on it. I have the starter out, getting it rebuilt right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">age is relative. I am a certified old fart</div></div>

<span style="color: #3333FF">(Definition of "FART".....

Acronymn for "<span style="font-weight: bold">F</span>athers <span style="font-weight: bold">A</span>gainst <span style="font-weight: bold">R</span>adical <span style="font-weight: bold">T</span>eenagers" </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">told the cashier at the local grocery store I was 21 but she didn't believe me. </div></div>

You must have been buying beer...or cigarretts...Did you share any with your buddies??? The law says that everyone needs to be I.D. Even old farts. laugh.gif Dandy Dave!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1DandyDaves</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">told the cashier at the local grocery store I was 21 but she didn't believe me. </div></div>

You must have been buying beer...or cigarretts...Did you share any with your buddies??? The law says that everyone needs to be I.D. Even old farts. laugh.gif Dandy Dave! </div></div>

I asked if she'd go for a short ride with me and she called me a dirty old man. shocked.gif

So I bet er $20 that she'd not only go for a ride with me she'd smilke all the way. Then I told her to look outside to see what she'd be riding in.

<-----

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

She told me she got off work at 6 PM but that she couldn't afford $20 for a short ride. I told her we could make it a long ride.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Then she called me a dirty old man again.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I'm a bit under 40 and have a 1935 Packard (as my screenname would suggest). It's certainly true that if you're in your 30s and you hang out with the pre-war car crowd, you often end up being the youngest by a few decades. The upside is that you can learn an incredible amount from folks that have been around these cars for a while.

Guest Rick_McKay

I'm 33 and love prewar cars. When I look at cars on ebay motors, I usually only look at '37 and older. My grandpa had a '27 Chev, and I grew up riding around in it. It was in that car that I learned to drive at 9 years old. When you learn to drive in a car like that, you can drive almost anything on wheels! About 10 years after my grandpa's passing, my Uncle talked about hauling the car to lower michigan to sell it. I stepped up to the plate and bought it. I couldn't bear the thought of losing such a huge part of my childhood..knowing if it was once sold out of the family, I might never see it again. Another interesting thing about that car is that is was purchased new about a 1/4 mile down the road from where I live!

It was my grandpa's claim that the Model T was the last good Ford built ('23 T roadster was his first car), so a few years after buying the '27 chev, I found a deal on a '23 Model T touring and jumped at the deal. A few years later I did a construction job for a collector in trade for a '17 Dodge touring. I just got married this past June, and my wife just loves the old cars...so we used money from the wedding towards the purchase of a '24 Model T Tudor! How's that for a supportive wife????

Now just have to try to keep that fleet rolling!!

Rick McKay

Guest Good Old Days

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How's that for a supportive wife????</div></div> Hang onto her and hold her tight.... </div></div>

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">

That's exactly what I do with my husband, never let go of him!

He likes to restore my cars (very slowly...), but doesn't want to go with me on tours. So each tour I find myself a person who likes to have a ride with an antique car, must say this works very well.

I'm 49 years young now and love the prewar car from being a child, my first car to drive in was a Studebaker President 1928! Still have it here, was my father's car and I'm happy to be able to keep it in good condition since he passed away.

Old cars must be in your blood, for some people it takes a bit of time to find out what they really like!

On tours I always encourage young people and women to drive these fine historic automobiles. Without them our hobby will only be a select group of fanatics and will most of the cars rest in a museum.

Finally nobody will know how to operate them! shocked.gif

Luckily we have sites like this and I think all of us will not let it happen.

If something happens to one of us, we have to make sure that there's at least a partner (/friend or a child) who knows how to drive what's left behind! As also the lovely story behind it! I really like the story from the 4 year old, amazing! smile.gif

I was the same way and see where I end up with... old cars!

laugh.giflaugh.gif</span>

Guest Rick_McKay

Here's my new bride and I in our '17 Dodge last June.

Plus a pic of the '24 Model T Tudor we bought for a mutual wedding gift.

Rick

post-59371-14313802334_thumb.jpg

post-59371-143138023342_thumb.jpg