electrical problems with radio and wipers

Guest gryfan

i am looking for some expertise that is on this site.i started having problems with the radio a few weeks ago.after 20 minutes or so i would start hearing static...then a few minutes later the radio would shut off.it would not come on again until i parked the car for a while .next trip radio can be turned on.the process happens again.it is very predictable now......i can alllllmost make it to work before it shuts off....and the same on the way home.it shuts off a couple of minutes before i pull into the driveway[oh yea....why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways? but i digress].now that more wet weather is upon us i am having a similar problem with my wipers.the wipers are on intermitten mode and will work for 20-30 minutes ...then all of a sudden the are not coming up any more.the next trip they work again....then the same occurance. the car is a 1990 coupe with a tape deck with 93,000 miles.thanks in advance, gryfan

Guest Mc_Reatta

Agree that the radio needs a rebuild or replacement. Try cleaning the contacts in the wiper switch well, as that is free and worth a try. Do the wipers run in low and high when they stop working in intermittent mode? Then it's in the timing delay circuitry, If they don't work in any mode then clean and check fuses, relays and connectors. If none of that fixes it then I suspect the motors, but it's odd they'd both go at once.

thanks for the help barney and mc reatta,the high and low speed do not work either when the intermitten speed no longer works.it appears to be a time thing.after a 20 minute time the wipers stop working at any speed.once i turn the car off for a few minutes it buys me some more time,and they work again.i will try your suggestions. thanks, gryfan 1990 coupe

Guest Mc_Reatta

I looked at the info on the wipers in the FSM for an 89 that I have at work, but I think the 90 would probably be the same in except for the wiper switch area. Here's an important tip:

"The Wiper Motor is protected by a Circuit Breaker. If the Wipers are blocked (by snow or ice for example) the Circuit Breaker will open the circuit. The Circuit Breaker resets automatically when it cools."

Guest Mc_Reatta

Continued:

Believe this is what's happening in your case. The breaker and all of the timing circuitry is in the wiper motor assembly behind the strut tower on the drivers side according to the diagram. About all you could easily do is check for binding of the wiper arms and blades when operating. The manual mentions removing the motor assembly and repairing the wiper motor gears also. If there isn't a mechanical reason for the breaker cutting out, it could also be electrical. Depending on your financial and mechanical abilities, I would suggest just getting another wiper motor assembly and installing it. The rest of the circuit is just switches and connectors and I don't think they would give you the cutting out and in symptoms that you describe. That's more likely an overheating issue from mechanical or electrical problems causing the breaker to cut out and letting it cool off a bit it resets for awhile and then does it again.

Hope this helps. You should check a 90 FSM just to make sure that this is how they are set up as well.

Could be, the failure mode for most power window motors is when the internal cicuit braker starts tripping. Though it is designed to rset in a few seconds. Would be my first time hearing of a wiper acting that way. Of course in Florida the only time it rains for more than 20 minutes at a time you had best not be driving.