Pre-1915 Bibliography?

Guest Mochet

I've found very few books on early cars. Is there a bibliography or list of good books out there? (I recently got a copy of "Brighton Belles" by David Burgess-Wise from the U.K., a very good book on pre-1905 cars).

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest VeloMan

I've been locating some nice books on the subject of early cars, so allow me to answer my own question by listing a few:

Floyd Clymer's Historical Motor Scrapbooks

Clymer (1895-1970) was an interesting character. He claimed to be a Ford dealer at the age of 11. He was a well-known motorcycle racer in the 1910-1930 era. In the '40s, he started publishing these Scrapbooks. They are composed of old ads and articles about pre-War cars with some comments. There are 8 volumes in all plus extra volumes on motorcycles, steam cars, Model T, etc. They're a lot of fun.

"Veteran and Vintage Motor Cars" by D. Scott-Moncrieff (1955). This book (reprinted in paperback in 1961) has lots of interesting stories starting with the early steam cars of the 18th & 19th centuries up to about WWI. Many period photos and informative drawings, too.

"The Lightning Conductor" by C.N. & A.M. Williamson (1903). This was the first popular novel centered on the automobile, I'm told. It proceeded hundreds of similar fiction books on the subject. Some of the covers of these novels depict veteran cars nicely. The authors were a husband/wife team who obviously enjoyed motoring.

I'll list more as I find them. Other suggestions welcome!

Phil