Secret Compartment 39 LZ Sedan

friscozephyr

Bill you're way too much! How about that area behind the vertical center console that encloses the crooked gear shift lever? I once had a '52 Studebaker starlite coupe that had great hiding places under the rear arm rests. An Army buddy at Fort Bliss used to keep his bottle(s) of Scotch hidden away in there. Nobody could figure out why he spent so much time at night sitting in the back seat out in the barrack's parking lot.

My first "old car" (back in 1970) was a 51 Studebaker Champion Starlite Coupe. I remember the hidden storage under the rear arm rests, you could probably hide a couple of bottles in there! Purchased for $125 and towed home, someone had switched the battery cables to negative ground, my buddy and I switched them back and it ran great, but no brakes. Time passed, no money, other things kept me busy. Kids down the street threw a brick through the windshield while I was away at college, so I sold it for $75.00. All the other glass was good. It was a straight rust free car...

The cars that I didn't buy back then are what hurts. My neighbor down the street was a big executive at Chevrolet, he had just left the Houston corporate offices to come to Dallas. He offered me his 57 Chevy Belair 2 door hardtop, fresh white paint and a rebuilt 327 with 2 speed automatic, for $100.00. It was missing the "v" on the rear deck lid. I didn't buy it. I had the $100, but no driver's license yet, and my dad said no car until I had a license. In 1970 the same neighbor offered me his 1969 Camaro Z28 rs/ss convertible, 396 engine with the cowl induction hood, orange with white stripes and the houndstooth interior. I forget the price, maybe I just don't want to remember it. Later, in college, it was the 1940 Harley knucklehead for $700 that my friend died on, it wasn't hurt bad in the wreck, unlike him. Run over from behind by a guy in a stolen car doing 100+mph. Bad karma, I thought at the time, or would it have been bad motorcykle-ma? Oh well, I didn't have $700 anyway. My rent was $50 a month, who could afford $700 for a 36 year old motorcycle that needed some work?

Sorry about the off-topic stuff, especially the C***vy stories. I would have told a story about not buying a Lincoln Zephyr, but I bought the first one I can remember seeing, a 41 club coupe, in 1997!

I don't know about the other 1939 Zephyr models, but the convertible coupes have a tool compartment under the rear seat. Not particularly secret, but perhaps unknown to some folks.

I didn't know about it because my '39 Zephyr convertible had been restored from a shell before I acquired it. Whoever re-upholstered the car closed that compartment over. It was too much trouble to make the little door assembly, I guess.

I learned about the compartment from the SIA article on Jerry Emery's '39 Zephyr convertible. Sorry, I don't remember the date of that article.

post-32768-14313802221_thumb.jpg